Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2017 8:21 am  #1

Gravity brake bleeding

Looking for some info on how to bleed brakes simply using gravity. Never done it this way. I think I may still have some air in my system. I have bled the brakes twice, once by reverse bleeding and secondly the traditional way by pumping the brakes and opening up the bleeders one at a time. 
With the gravity system...how do you go about this?
Do you open one bleeder at a time or all at once? Do you using a specific pattern...which caliper do you start and end with? How much fluid do you expect to use with this method?
Reference: 61 Galaxie, 78 Cougar front discs, 83 Lincoln rear discs, 94 1500 Chev truck master cylinder and Astrovan hydroboost.

July 30, 2017 9:47 am  #2

Re: Gravity brake bleeding

Never done it, but I would think that you would treat it like using a pump, or the old pump the pedal method by starting with the one farthest from the master cylinder and working to the closest.

July 30, 2017 12:10 pm  #3

Works really well to change brake fluid. It will help to remove some air but doesn't work very well to remove trapped air. Search for a video, lots of them on the web.  

August 4, 2017 3:37 am  #4

You can search web for them

August 18, 2017 6:14 am  #5

Used to use the gravity method while I was still working. Works good. I would do 1 wheel at a time. After I assembled the wheel cylinder, brake shoes and installed the drum I would leave the bleeder open and move to the next wheel. When I saw the bleeder start dripping I would close it off. Of course you have to keep the master cylinder full. After the last wheel was finished I would bleed the system the conventional way with a helper pumping the pedal.

Board footera