Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2019 12:40 pm  #11

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

Went through my last storage spot and found my old license plate.  I've been looking and looking for it.

Pickup load of items taken from storage.

Last edited by finsrn (January 18, 2023 8:10 pm)

April 8, 2019 1:19 pm  #12

finsrn wrote:

This particular shop said they used to rebuild lots of Y blocks but that demand for them has dropped off in recent years.  Not sure why?

Here is my theory:

Most people who want something restored to original do so because they have some sentimental attachment to a specific year make or model.  They remember how the cars looked new on the show room floor or they drove one back in high school or...  Now don't get me wrong not all cars restored "original" are tied to that but it is a key factor.  As time goes by we have less people of an age where they remember these cars "new" and so originality is becoming far less important to the average current restorer.  If you are no longer tied to originality there is little reason to use a y block and you do one of two things, you put in a big block of some flavor or for a small block you go with the winder.  They are still plentiful, easy to work on.  Tons of aftermarket support and you can get more power, options, modern upgrades and reliability for less $$.  For those very reasons I put a 302 in my 62 and have a 351W sitting on the stand to replace the 302.   Thats my two ¢ anyway.

April 9, 2019 6:33 am  #13

Daze wrote:

Most people who want something restored to original do so because they have some sentimental attachment to a specific year make or model.

Daze I think you got this spot on.  I'm certainly a case-in-point.  The Y block is going back into my high school car.  Before I started the project I decided unless I restored the car to the "way it was" the car would lose most of its appeal to me.  If I didn't restore it to original then I would probably would have just purchased something else that I liked that was already restored.  In fact I looked at several cars already restored and then I came to the conclusion that the only car that I really wanted to have as something fun was the one that was sitting in my shop with sentimental value.  Perhaps weird, but it sounds like I'm in good company (although declining in numbers company).  There is also one other element that is a bit practical.  That is if the car is bone stock then it's somewhat easier to work on/maintain.  This is because I can still use repair manuals and parts look-ups for a 1961 Ford with a 292 C.I.D. engine.  If everything is swapped out with newer components one must remember what was used where.  Since I'm at the point in my life where I like things less complicated this makes it easier for me(in theory).  This could be just personal preference for me (or I'm just lazy).  I say all this with one caveat.  I've not driven a 1961 Ford with manual steering, manual drum brakes, no A.C. and a 3 speed column shift in 25 years!  I'm committed at this point so we'll see how it goes!

April 13, 2019 6:29 pm  #14

Took the Y Block to the machine shop.

I also found the original gas tank that's been in storage for the last 25 years or so.  I took it to be cleaned and lined.

I found some 15" steel rims so I thought I would try out the Dog Dish look.  My plan is to go with 15" American Racing Torq Thrust 15 x 6 rims.

Last edited by finsrn (January 19, 2023 9:15 am)

April 14, 2019 3:06 pm  #15

I am a big fan of the Torq Thrusts.

April 17, 2019 7:25 pm  #16

Got the front bumper off.

Hopefully core support and fender this weekend.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 9:17 am)

April 20, 2019 6:30 pm  #17

Removed all of the brackets for the front bumper.  I used a nut splitter on the stubborn cases instead of a hot wrench to try and salvage the bolts.

Also removed the grill.

Found some of the dreaded rust in the core support.

Core support and right fender removed.

Now searching for a better core support.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 12:03 pm)

May 2, 2019 6:22 pm  #18

Removing right side suspension.

Does anyone know if the front lower control arm bolt/shaft is removable?

I had the amazing opportunity to tour the private collection of an individual that has been collecting cars for the last 40 years.  He has many 60 through 64 Fords, many that are very complete.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 12:09 pm)

May 2, 2019 8:17 pm  #19

yes that bolt is removable but it often times rustsup inside the frame and is hard to get out.  Any luck finding a core support?  

May 3, 2019 6:44 am  #20

Daze wrote:

Any luck finding a core support?  

I located a core support from California.  I have not received it yet.  I'll update once I receive it.  I'm hoping that it's rust free since it's from a California car. 

I'm in the process of trying to purchase the station wagon in the above picture.  At this point I'm mainly looking for a complete Y block power steering setup.  (I think I've talked myself into power steering).  One curious detail on the power steering is that the steering gearbox for power and manual is different according to the interchange books.  I wonder how they are different?  The ratio?

Board footera