Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2013 3:51 am  #1

1963 Mercury Monterey questions

Hello all, I'm new to the forum.  Usually I'm an Oldsmobile guy, but yesterday I ran across a 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom that I couldn't resist.  31k original miles, not a spot of rust on it, and completely original.  Breezeway window works great, interior is original and very servicable, and I'm thinking this one is best kept original for now.  I'm just taking stock of things.

The prior owner said it was a special build for stock car racing.  While it has a 390 2-barrel, it has no heater, radio or side mirrors.  There are a couple things I can't figure out when I was decoding the trim tag (I got this information from mercurystuff.com):

65B - 2 door special hardtop
A - Black
95 - what is this trim code??
19M - completed December 19 (would that be 1962?)
(Blank) - no DSO.  Is that odd?
1 - 3:00:1 axle
4 - Automatic (multi drive) transmission.

Any help would be appreciated-

August 21, 2013 8:10 pm  #2

Re: 1963 Mercury Monterey questions

a Mercury shop manual should have what you need.  I looked in my Galaxie one but it did not match up with what you have so it must be Merc specific.  It is my understanding that the DSO is left blank unless it is a special order direct to the dealership.  Wish I could help more I hope someone chimes in who has the shop manual you need.

August 24, 2013 5:05 am  #3

95 - what is this trim code??

I'm not 100% sure
cod 55- bucket seat with red vinyl
cod 95- bench seat with red vinyl

the first number indicates bucket or bench vinyl
the second number indicates the color of the vinyl

September 18, 2013 10:51 pm  #4

Sounds like a cool car. I have a '64 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr fastback, also 390 2-bbl. I couldn't find a "95" listed in Mercury trim codes for 1963, just "55" which indicates red vinyl. Usually cars that were designated for racing purposes had a tag attached that said something to the lines of "Competition Use Only-No Warranty". If someone had special ordered it as such, it would most likely have a DSO number as Daze mentioned above. There should be just two digits in the DSO which would indicate what sales district the dealer ordered the car from. If the car was "special ordered", those two digits would be followed by more. You are correct in the fact the car was built in December of 1962 as new models typically roll out around September of the previous year. What is the VIN# on the car, that may shed some more light? Sounds like a very interesting car.

www.facebook.com/fullsizeford

1964 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr 390, Merc-O-Matic
1964 Galaxie 500 2dr Fastback Nascar clone
1961 Galaxie Starliner 460, C6
1961 Galaxie Club Victoria 2dr 352, 4-speed

Board footera