Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2013 7:28 pm  #1

My 66 has new life!

Ok, so I finally have a car that runs properly.  For over 3 years now, I have been driving my 66 Galaxie 500 with a 289 and did NOT realize that it SHOULD BE running better than it was.  I dismissed the only fair drivability to the fact that it only had a 289ci and it was a BIG car.  Lately, I was getting a lot of stumbling and even a few stalls at the light on a perfectly warm engine.  Local shop took a look at it.  "You need a new distributor" they said.  About 2 hours of labor (yeah, I've never replaced one before) and only $45 less in my wallet and now I have a car that RUNS GREAT!

I'm delighted AND MAD all at the same time.  Better throttle performance, power, easier starts, shorter warm ups are some of the things I've seen and I know I'll get better MPG.  So why am I mad too?  I have missed out on nearly 3 years of great driving because of this unrecognized problem.

Sorry I can't write more now.  Gotta go and drive my car some more! 

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

September 9, 2013 9:27 pm  #2

Re: My 66 has new life!

If it was running rough and a new distritor replacement was needed, sounds like the shaft might have had a fair bit of slack in it.  $45 is very cheap! 

September 10, 2013 5:55 am  #3

Re: My 66 has new life!

63gal427 wrote:

If it was running rough and a new distritor replacement was needed, sounds like the shaft might have had a fair bit of slack in it.  $45 is very cheap! 

Yep!  Slack in the shaft. Now it feels like a new car. Just gotta get some better cooling and I'll drive the tires off the thing.

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

Board footera