Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2013 11:14 am  #1

Temp gauge is hot - time for an electric fan.

Day,
I've seen my temp gauge climb above 190 - 200 too many times now.  Hot days here in SC make it too risky to drive my 66 Galaxie with a stock 289.

You installed an electric fan on your 62.

What advice do you have for me.  I need something that I can understand.  If I get a fan from the junkyard, I won't know what to look for or what to do.

I expect a kit would have the fan, a temp sensor and a switch plus all the clips and stuff to attach it.
Recommendations?
Help please.

Jay

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

August 30, 2013 7:02 pm  #2

Re: Temp gauge is hot - time for an electric fan.

I put all my stuff together from individual components.  I started with a good aluminum radiator.  The fans I used were aftermarket ones.  If I had the room between my engine and radiator I would have used a Lincoln MarkVIII fan.  That is hands down the best fan choice on the market, assuming you have enough clearance.  I used a control module from the local auto parts store.  It is adjustable and has a probe that mounts in the radiator.  Works well but I wish I could have fit the Mark VIII fan.

September 7, 2013 6:37 pm  #3

Daze wrote:

I put all my stuff together from individual components.  I started with a good aluminum radiator.  The fans I used were aftermarket ones.  If I had the room between my engine and radiator I would have used a Lincoln MarkVIII fan.  That is hands down the best fan choice on the market, assuming you have enough clearance.  I used a control module from the local auto parts store.  It is adjustable and has a probe that mounts in the radiator.  Works well but I wish I could have fit the Mark VIII fan.

My friend pointed out that my radiator cap was old and didn't hold pressure.  I replaced it and sure enough, my temp stays 185 - 190 now.  I still plan to upgrade to an electric fan.  Summit racing recommends 2800 - 3000 cfm for a small block V8.

September 14, 2013 9:56 am  #4

On an email Jayz66 wrote:

Day,
Will I need to upgrade the alternator if I install an electric fan?  I think my 66 has a standard alternator, but I don't know how to test how many amps it puts out.

Ford Muscle says that the Taurus fan from the early 1990's V6 is a good choice.  I also read that the Contour fan is a good choice too.

I think I can get a new American Auto Wire 70 amp relay for about half price on CL.  I'll try to collect the parts I need over the next month and get this done soon.

Jay

The alternator should be stamped with the amperage.

I would upgrade to a 3G alternator (150 amps) , and it just so happens I have one I can sell you for a great price.  I also have some high amp relays I can hook you up with.  Please let me know if I can help further.

September 14, 2013 6:20 pm  #5

Jayz66 wrote:

Day,
I've seen my temp gauge climb above 190 - 200 too many times now.  Hot days here in SC make it too risky to drive my 66 Galaxie with a stock 289.............."

Before you start spending your money, kick back and think this over.

When your car was new, it still got pretty hot in SC, and also here in Texas & Oklahoma where I've lived for  over 60 years. Damn hot if I remember right. And your car  DID NOT OVERHEAT back then.  No electric fans, no aluminum radiators, no water wetter, no modern cooling solutions like you are considering. Certainly you will get some lower temperatures by going modern, but these are merely a bandaid for whatever is causing the problem in the first place. 

In my view,  cooling diagnostics start in the engine block. Flush it repeatedly until the water is 100% clear and clean, you may not getting out all the hard core caked on  deposits, but it's a good start. Then have the radiator boiled out by a radiator shop. Without spending a dime on parts most overheating issues can be remedied by have the block and radiator clean internally. If that didn't fix the overheating, I would have the block professionally cleaned to totally eliminate it from any possibility of being the cause of the overheating.

Still overheating, then start buying some parts: replace the thermostat, water pump, AND FAN BELT.  Once you've done all that, then it's  99.9% likely your troubles are over.

Do you know if your 289 has been bored ? If it's 0.040" or more then no cooling system, modern or not may be able to keep your temperatures reasonable in the summer.

Z.
'66 352 ci Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang fastback

Last edited by zray (September 14, 2013 6:21 pm)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

September 15, 2013 4:26 am  #6

I agree that all of the factory cooling methods should work fine.  Another factor necessary is having the proper fan shroud.  My engine is .030 over.  Adding electric fan cooling will help in those "stuck in traffic" moments.  I had my radiator checked prior to installing.  I can't comment on the condition of the block.  I'm getting to drive my car more now that it runs well after the new distributor installation.

September 15, 2013 6:14 am  #7

0.030" over on the engine block should not be too much for the stock system to handle, even in traffic,  

Thanks for mentioning the fan shroud. The factory shroud should be in place of course for maximum efficiency.

Again let me repeat, nothing wrong with going modern to get an engine temp. down. However, many people are spending time and money unnecessarily by overlooking  cleaning out the block and the stock radiator. A professional cleaning of both those items is absolutely the place to start. 

Z

'66 352 ci Galaxie 500

Last edited by zray (September 15, 2013 6:15 am)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

March 10, 2014 11:53 am  #8

I used the Contour fan in my wagon. It made a heck of a difference. No problem sitting in traffic now. The Contour fan is thinner than the Lincoln and Taurus fans. Still puts out 3500 cfm. I am pulling an Airstream trailer with mine. Stays cool all the time. I highly recomend. 

I also used the flexalite variable speed controler. It ramps up the speed/amps instead of shocking the system with 25 amps.

Larry

March 10, 2014 12:46 pm  #9

jrdufresne wrote:

The Contour fan is thinner than the Lincoln and Taurus fans. Still puts out 3500 cfm.

how thin is it??

March 10, 2014 2:43 pm  #10

I'm with zray on this. Make sure all your rubber seals between the core support and hood ect. are in tact 
Hot air can circulate around the core support back into the radiator. This will make the car over heat at slow speeds.

zray wrote:

Jayz66 wrote:

Day,
I've seen my temp gauge climb above 190 - 200 too many times now.  Hot days here in SC make it too risky to drive my 66 Galaxie with a stock 289.............."

Before you start spending your money, kick back and think this over.

When your car was new, it still got pretty hot in SC, and also here in Texas & Oklahoma where I've lived for  over 60 years. Damn hot if I remember right. And your car  DID NOT OVERHEAT back then.  No electric fans, no aluminum radiators, no water wetter, no modern cooling solutions like you are considering. Certainly you will get some lower temperatures by going modern, but these are merely a bandaid for whatever is causing the problem in the first place. 

In my view,  cooling diagnostics start in the engine block. Flush it repeatedly until the water is 100% clear and clean, you may not getting out all the hard core caked on  deposits, but it's a good start. Then have the radiator boiled out by a radiator shop. Without spending a dime on parts most overheating issues can be remedied by have the block and radiator clean internally. If that didn't fix the overheating, I would have the block professionally cleaned to totally eliminate it from any possibility of being the cause of the overheating.

Still overheating, then start buying some parts: replace the thermostat, water pump, AND FAN BELT.  Once you've done all that, then it's  99.9% likely your troubles are over.

Do you know if your 289 has been bored ? If it's 0.040" or more then no cooling system, modern or not may be able to keep your temperatures reasonable in the summer.

Z.
'66 352 ci Galaxie 500

southerngassers

Board footera