Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2021 6:12 am  #61

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

You sure are paying attention to all the details. Looking real good. When do you expect to get it back from the restoration shop?

October 5, 2021 8:10 am  #62

Looks fantastic, I can't weight to see more.  When its all said and done you going with the original color or something else?

October 7, 2021 8:17 am  #63

Lowrider wrote:

You sure are paying attention to all the details. Looking real good. When do you expect to get it back from the restoration shop?

I was trying to keep it as factory as possible.  They really haven't given me a finish date yet.  I'm guessing it will be at least six months.

October 7, 2021 9:17 am  #64

Daze wrote:

Looks fantastic, I can't weight to see more.  When its all said and done you going with the original color or something else?

I plan on having it painted the original Algiers Bronze.

December 26, 2021 8:53 pm  #65

The floorboards are done.

They are going to start on the rear quarter panels next.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:18 pm)

September 15, 2022 6:48 am  #66

Last edited by finsrn (September 15, 2022 8:49 am)

September 15, 2022 9:41 am  #67

If you can jack the car up high enough so the LCAs can swing all the way down you can usually install the springs with out a compressor.  Always be carful with that type.  This is my experience

"It was an internal claw type compressor that sent me to the emergency room in June of 2005.  After already removing the passenger’s side spring, I was working on the driver’s side assembly, had compressed the spring and was in the process of removing it when the compressor slipped, the spring decompressed and pinned my right hand by the three middle fingers, palm side up, between the bottom of the coil spring and the spring perch.  Engaging this type of compressor requires using two hands and, of course, I was alone, the garage door was down, my cell phone was on the passenger’s side fender out of reach and most of my tools, at least any that could have been effective in freeing my hand, were on the floor next to the passenger’s side where I had already pulled the suspension apart.  All I had within arms reach was the 1⁄2” box wrench (no more than 6” long) that I had just used to remove the shock.  I jammed the wrench in between the spring and the perch and was able to pry the spring up enough to get the finger next to my pinkie free.  I then pried on the opposite side and got my index finger free.  To get my middle finger out, I pried again with the wrench and pulled as hard as I could with the trapped arm and got my hand out. To make a long story short, I still have all my fingers and they still work, however, I occasionally feel some stiffness in the middle finger joints.  I was lucky!!!!!  "

February 2, 2023 7:22 pm  #68

The shop is working on the lower rear quarter panels.

February 2, 2023 7:31 pm  #69

The restoration shop decided it would be better to get some used quarter panels.  Found a car in Texas that had them.

The parts car made a sacrifice for the betterment of my car.  I feel kind of sorry about it.
Crated and ready for shipping to Chicago.

They arrived in Chicago safe and sound.

New quarters are installed.

Door sanded.

Quarter in primer.

Top of rear quarter sanded.

Top of car sanded.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:36 pm)

February 4, 2023 7:11 am  #70

Looking good. Where are you finding parts for your 61? Soon as I get the engine back in my Starliner I need to find a couple things.

Last edited by Lowrider (February 4, 2023 7:11 am)

Board footera