Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2021 6:21 pm  #1

1963 Ford Galaxie disc brake conversion.

I was finally getting around to  getting the 1969 LTD. spindles on the front of the Galaxie.  Had all the parts gathered...blah blah blah.  Then the realization came.  My 14" Torque Thrust D wheels don't fit over the brakes.   So where do I go from here?

My choices:  I have a set of 76 Ford Granada spindles.  I have a set of 77 LtdII spindles.  The set of 1969 ltd spindles.  And of course the stock 63 spindles.  Some conversion for those like scarebird?

I guess another option would be to buy 15" torque thrust ds.   Got lots of parts and a big mess!

March 30, 2021 9:19 am  #2

Re: 1963 Ford Galaxie disc brake conversion.

How close is the fit?  Is there an option to remove a little material from the caliper to get it to fit or if its close can you put a spacer on the front of the hub?  Sometimes adding a spacer will get the clearance you need because the rim opens up as it moves away from the mounting flange.  I would not do the Granada spindles.  They will lower the front end about 1", they will throw off the camber curve and the ackerman angle will be off.  The LTD II spindles will work BUT the lower your car sits the less camber you will get.  At OEM ride height they work fine and there should bairly be enough camber adjustment to get it to 0 but any height below stock and your camber numbers will go positive.  That is why I am dumping my LTD II spindles because my front end sits about 1" lower than stock. The 69 LTD spindles are probably your best option on a budget.  They should fit in the rims and the geometry is identical to the early Galaxie. Keep in mind that replacement rotors and calipers are expensive.  If you want to spend some money Wilwood offers a kit to work with the OEM spindles. The list price is $744.79, with my comercial account with them I could get you a set for less than that but I am not sure how much less.  

April 24, 2022 6:27 am  #3

Re: 1963 Ford Galaxie disc brake conversion.

I had an idea that just hit me Friday.   Here goes.    LtdII brakes.   Once they are installed, if there are any alignment issues,  modify the upper control arm with a screw in ball joint and ring, and move it inboard on the arm.   I looked at some pictures of upper control arms, it looks as if there is room to accomplish that.   I guess one could actually do the same thing to the bottom, but I did not look at those arms to see if there was space to move outward.  I remember you really modifying some arms...

Anyways, my thoughts...

Board footera