Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2017 2:18 pm  #11

Re: headers for a 1967 convertible 390

70XL wrote:

guitar74 wrote:

Kind of funny that you're having trouble finding headers for your big block '67. The '65 small block that I just got has headers that are in need of attention so I started looking for ceramic coated full lengths for a '65 289 Galaxie and can find no listings for a full length for a small block for this chassis anywhere, but I can find them for a '67-'69 all day long. From outward appearances there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between a '65 & '67 so am I missing something too?

I don't think you're missing anything. There is likely very little call for small block headers in that body, so the manufacturers don't have a direct application listing. This is not to say that there are not plenty of headers that will fit, just that the manufacturers don't have a listing. Your best bet may be to get uncoated headers, make sure they fit, modify if necessary, then get them coated. That may be easier than modifying coated headers.

I think you're right on the very little call for a small block in this body. After driving my Cougar with basically the the same combo albeit with a 3.50 gear instead of the 3.25, this thing seems REAL soft out of the hole. So soft that I'm actually gonna' check to make sure the mechanical advance is actually working (car sat for a couple of years before I got it).

January 18, 2017 4:45 pm  #12

Have you completed the header installation and did you go with the 6130?  I am looking at using the same headers for my 67 convertible.  My understanding is the interference is with the starter.  I don’t know if that is the case but I will be using a different starter because I am changing the transmission.  I would be interested in hearing about any issues you had with the installation.

1967 Gaxaie 500 Convertible 
1967 Mustang Coupe

January 18, 2017 7:00 pm  #13

No I have not done anything about putting headers on my 1967 galaxie convertible. I'm still not comfortable buying the 6130 headers. I do not want to purchase these and then have to start cutting or bending them  just to make them fit. I was hoping someone on this forum would chime in and say that they used these same headers on their convertible with out any major problems. I guess I need a little confidence booster to start moving on this project.If you do start your project before me any info would be much appreciated . Thanks

January 19, 2017 9:34 am  #14

67 ragtop wrote:

No I have not done anything about putting headers on my 1967 galaxie convertible. I'm still not comfortable buying the 6130 headers. I do not want to purchase these and then have to start cutting or bending them  just to make them fit. I was hoping someone on this forum would chime in and say that they used these same headers on their convertible with out any major problems. I guess I need a little confidence booster to start moving on this project.If you do start your project before me any info would be much appreciated . Thanks

While this won't boost your confidence, you could be sure that headers that fit on one car may not fit on another car that is supposed to be the same, especially on these old cars. What I got from the well experienced friend who helped me with my car, not having to cut and hammer on headers is the exception. Every situation is different, so if you can't locally, make sure to buy where there is a good return policy.

Last edited by 70XL (January 19, 2017 9:37 am)

January 10, 2021 2:52 pm  #15

IDK but it Looks like you would have to fab up a new crossmember to use them 

Board footera