Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2020 9:46 am  #1

What's the correct 4 speed?

Hi all. New to the forum. Wondering whether a T10 or a Toploader belongs in my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 390 4 speed. It is a real 390 4 Speed car but the engine and trans were removed way back in the day. Any info greatly appreciated!

November 9, 2020 5:43 am  #2

Re: What's the correct 4 speed?

Looked in my 1960/1964 Ford parts book and it lists both transmissions for a Galaxie. The data plate on the car will just list a code that lists 4spd transmission.

November 19, 2020 8:46 am  #3

Thanks. That's what I've come across too. Although it looks like the hi-po cars had the top loader in 64.

January 8, 2021 8:05 pm  #4

I cannot speak about the other 4 spd trans, but I had a 1970 Mustang with the 428CJ engine and the toploader 4 spd and it was nearly indestructible. Normal wear over 185,000 miles and only the synchronizers needed replacement because of gear lube replacement ever 50,000 miles plus or minus. It was still going when I sold it.

Board footera