Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2020 9:51 pm  #1

Rebuilding my 66 Galaxie

Finally working on getting my Galaxie back on the road.  A little background fist.  This the car I wanted when I was 14.  Finally got this one at 22 back in 86.  My daily driver for a long time.  Wrecked her and rebuilt her in the 90's.  Parked her in 2000 and never got back to her, until now.  Originally a 289 car, rebuilt her with a 390 with 3 x 2 barrels.  The teardrop hood is is a reproduction.  It ended up on the car because it was going to cost the same amount to either recrome the hood spear or buy the racing hood, wasn't a tough choice.

This was back in February.  Moving for the first time in 20 and headed for my brothers shop.

Got her to the shop, a quick power wash before taking her off the trailer.

Body is still in pretty good shape.  The worst spots are the frame, drivers side is rotted out past the drivers door and the trunk.  Leaves and maple seeds collected in the gutters under the trunk lid and rotted out the trunk floor and the top and bottom gutters.

Here are some pics of the interior and the engine bay.

October 21, 2020 10:39 pm  #2

Re: Rebuilding my 66 Galaxie

My brother and I have spent the summer trying to figure out how to tackle this job.  About a month ago we found a frame 3 hrs away in southern Ohio. 

So last Saturday I finally started tearing her apart. Got a little done the first day.

Sunday morning was cold and rainy so we moved her inside.

After that things went better than either of us expected.  By noon I had the doghouse off and the radiator out. 

Went to the store to get a few things and bring us back some lunch about 1.  Got back about 2:30 and the frame and motor are sitting outside.

Old frame was shot.  My brother said it actually buckle as he pulled the body off the frame.

Couple of last pics for tonight.

October 24, 2020 2:08 pm  #3

That is some fantastic progress.  It's amazing the difference made just by power washing.  I look forward to seeing more posts.

November 1, 2020 6:33 pm  #4

The last 2 weekends have been cold, so not as much done.  We did get the dolly for the body built and started things off the fire wall.

Worked this week on getting the side trim off.

Trim is off, tail lights out and the trunk lid removed. Haven't decided whether the old trunk lid is worth keeping or to find a new one.

Hoping next week we can start stripping the paint off the body, and working on the trunk pan and gutters.

November 29, 2020 4:52 pm  #5

Started stripping her down 2 weeks ago.

After Thanksgiving we started disassembling the interior and continuing to strip the body.

The interior is out. Floorboard looks good 1 small hole up by the gas petal.

2 doors and a pile of chrome.

We were really surprised how little rust was on the body given the shape of the trunk floor and the frame. 2 small spots of rust and an old dent from before I bought her, drivers side.

Passenger side has the worst spot.

The parts for the trunk gutters came in Friday.

Should be starting the bodywork next weekend.

December 3, 2020 9:44 am  #6

I know the old saying "you've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette" but It always makes me a little sad to see a car in that torn apart state before you start replacing parts.  Should be a beauty when you are done!!

December 4, 2020 11:38 am  #7

I know exactly what you mean.  Not sure how I am going to take when we start cutting out some of those bad spots.

December 27, 2020 6:05 pm  #8

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Had a good month making progress. Got all the paint stripped except for the fiberglass hood.

Got the gas tank out and a new one on order, interior is on order. Pulled the old motor and sent it on to its new owner.

Old rotted frame is cut up and hauled off.

Started welding in the new metal.

February 28, 2021 5:11 pm  #9

Realized I hadn't posted anything up in a couple months. Work on the Galaxie slowed a bit due to work, weather and waiting on parts. Finally about done with welding new metal in. Here are picks of the trunk gutters.
Trunk floor went in today.

Slowly working on cleaning up the body. Hoping to have her in primer by the end of March.

Sent the inner fenders and core support out for sand blasting.

Found a motor and transmission in January. 302 with an aod trans.

302 is torn down and waiting on the pistons and crank to come in so we can take it to the machine shop. Building a 347 stroker with fuel injection.

Board footera