Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2020 4:45 pm  #1

1964 country sedAn 9” axle bearings

Looking for help
With 9” rear axle bearings ??
Part #s?

64 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon
69 XL Convertible "390" w/ Air
1990 Crown Vic Wagon

March 27, 2020 8:23 am  #2

Re: 1964 country sedAn 9” axle bearings

Here is the page from the parts book.

April 6, 2020 10:29 am  #3

My 63 four door hardtop read axle had the small axle bearings.  My 63 convertible has large bearings.   I was actually wondering if it was a small block/big block thing.  But I would bet the wagon if still stock had large bearings.   Problem is after all these years you never know if it had a replacement fear put under it.  You really need to measure the axle retainer studs to know without taking it apart.

April 17, 2020 8:06 pm  #4

A small bearing housing can be differentiated from a large bearing housing by the size of the nuts and thread used to retain the brake backing plates to the housing. The small bearing housings use 9/16 socket size nuts with 3/8" fine thread, while the larger bearing use 11/16" socket size and 7/16" fine thread. Once you determine large or small bearing, the axle bearings are readily available at most popular auto parts stores.

Board footera