Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2013 8:14 pm  #1

does your galaxie smell of fuel after you fill the tank??

When I fill my 62 Galaxie's gas tank all the way I smell gas fumes for the first 1/4 of a tank when I drive it.  The last 3/4 of a tank there are no fumes.  I cant find a leek, any ideas???

July 28, 2013 8:19 am  #2

Re: does your galaxie smell of fuel after you fill the tank??

Daze wrote:

"............, any ideas???

not to be a smart a*s, but my hillbilly side just says, "don't fill up the tank over 3/4 . My mechanic side says your filler hose / tube is not airtight. Replace it and your issue will just be a sweet smelling memory.

Z.
'65 K code Mustang
'66 352 Galaxie

Last edited by zray (July 28, 2013 8:20 am)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

July 29, 2013 9:03 pm  #3

zray wrote:

not to be a smart a*s, but my hillbilly side just says, "don't fill up the tank over 3/4 . My mechanic side says your filler hose / tube is not airtight. Replace it and your issue will just be a sweet smelling memory. 

That is a good idea, at least until I figure out the issue.  As to the filler neck the 61-64 is a one piece tank.  In other words the filler neck is part of the tank and there is nothing to replace... unless I replace the entire tank  

July 31, 2013 10:08 am  #4

Try replacing the seal for the sender and the gas cap.

July 31, 2013 3:16 pm  #5

Daze wrote:

zray wrote:

That is a good idea, at least until I figure out the issue.  As to the filler neck the 61-64 is a one piece tank.  In other words the filler neck is part of the tank and there is nothing to replace... unless I replace the entire tank  

if you have fumes only when the tank is full it certainly cannot be the sending unit, it's seal, or the fuel fittings as they are on the bottom. You are left only with the possibiitiies of filler cap not sealing or pinholes in the filler neck / upper tank area, and as you said, to fix that the whole tank would have to be  replaced. It's likely rusty anyway, no great loss to junk it.

Z.

Last edited by zray (July 31, 2013 3:22 pm)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

August 10, 2013 11:06 pm  #6

If it's like a '61 tank (Let me know if it isn't because I'm really not sure), directly below the trunk floor, I bet the top of it is leaking a little.
You don't see it because there's an insulating pad between it and the floor to stop vibrations, and that soaks up the small amount of leakage. Problem is, that pad also seems to hold road moisture, and, over the years, it will put pinholes in the top of the tank.
An Eastwood tank sealing kit takes care of the problem if the pin holes aren't much bigger than 1/8" or so, and you can paint the top of the tank with a good quality primer/paint (or just undercoat) to keep it from happening again for awhile. You can also kind of spray the edges of the pad with some rubberized undercoating to keep moisture thrown up from the road from soaking it (If you're reusing the pad, of course).
I've used Master Series silver primer (Moisture curing urethane) for a few projects, swear by it, and have read that you can use it as a gas tank sealer, but I've never used for that - yet. It does do a great job of encapsulating rust, though, so maybe you might want to try it. I've had better success with Master Series than with POR-15.

Last edited by Glenn M. (August 11, 2013 10:05 pm)

Board footera