Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2020 8:18 pm  #1

Removing clear coat over paint

My 1967 gal has blotchy clear coat that has come off of the base coat. So I must remove the clear coat that is left or treat it and add new clear. My question is: does any one have a better easier solution or method? My goal is to simply get the car to be one even color all over. The base coat is black.

January 27, 2020 2:15 pm  #2

Re: Removing clear coat over paint

I don't think you remove the clear and save the base. If the clear has lost it's bond to the base coat, then the whole panel, if not the whole car is suspect. Maybe you can sand stating with 2000 and see if you the failed clear can be removed without removing all the base colour. They always say black is the most difficult colour to paint a vehicle, so I expect any spot repair is gong to stand out from some vantage point.

February 1, 2020 8:01 pm  #3

Re: Removing clear coat over paint

Thanks for your reply and your suggestion. That suggestion is where I will go.

Board footera