Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2019 7:42 am  #1

62 Galaxie with PS and manual trans question

Seems very difficult to get the stock (not Borgeson) PS hoses to work with the stock Z bar and clutch fork spring clearance and steer the car back and forth. Am I missing something or did they NEVER have a PS car with manual transmissions in 61 or 1962 ? I am using ALL NOS stock OEM parts, so just wondering.

December 10, 2019 8:45 am  #2

Re: 62 Galaxie with PS and manual trans question

I believe power steering and manual transmission together was an option in 61 and 62.  What engine and transmission do you have?  I'm getting ready to install a stock power steering setup on my 61 with 292 engine and 3 speed manual transmission.  I've studied the parts books/illustrations and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.  I plan on installing the engine and transmission with the front clip removed so perhaps I will be able to get some good pictures of how everything fits.  I suppose most of the power steering components could be installed before the engine so I may be able to see how the hoses fit around the z bar.

December 10, 2019 9:23 am  #3

Re: 62 Galaxie with PS and manual trans question

I believe I got it figured out (390 by the way). I had originally routed the lines the wrong way over the upper control arm. Rerouted them last night under it and all seems to work. No steering wheel on this project yet so can't totally check right to left clearance. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by ahshoe (December 10, 2019 9:23 am)

Board footera