Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2013 3:53 pm  #1

66 Galaxie 289 car

Hi , i want to swap out the 289 to install a 91 Mustang 5.0 and AOD trans. Any one done this. I am
looking for any tech help out there. thx

August 7, 2013 4:33 pm  #2

Re: 66 Galaxie 289 car

Northern Steve wrote:

Hi , i want to swap out the 289 to install a 91 Mustang 5.0 and AOD trans. Any one done this. I am
looking for any tech help out there. thx

I did exactly that in my 62.  I had a lot to do because the windsor was not an option in 62 but being that your car is a 66 and has a 289 it will be much easier.  The 289 and the 91 5.0 are the same engine on the outside so the same engine mounts you already have will work with the 5.0.  The transmission crosmember will probably need to be reworked and your driveline will probably need to be lengthened but other than that it should be a mostly bolt in swap.  There might also be a little fab work to get the shifter set up.  You will also need to get a TV cable for the AOD or you will burn it up.

Board footera