Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2019 6:44 pm  #1

97 4.6L

I"ve been offered a 4.6L out of a 97 Lincoln, with the trans.
  free is free
my first question is the "passive anti theft system". is a part of the computer I can do without?
 is it a separate computer?  

I was thinking it might be a nice setup for my 56 Packard... 

Another question the air ride, has anyone heard of these being used in other cars, hot rods, etc:
  I'm really not familiar with that setup..
Best
Dave

November 17, 2019 8:38 pm  #2

Re: 97 4.6L

Hi Dave
Ford started using PATS in 1996. It is incorporated in the ECM programming. If you have the keys for that Lincoln and you are using the Lincoln ignition you are good to go. If you want to use the Packard ignition then you will need to get the ECM flashed. A company like Ron Francis can do this for around $400. While they are at it, the can also remove ABS, rear O2 sensors, set the electric fan on temp, transmission shift points, etc...I had to do this when I installed a 2002 4.6 in my 61 Galaxie. That Lincoln might have the DOHC motor, so a little more jam! You will also need the fuel pump, fuel filter mount, motor mounts, transmission mount and crossmember, etc...basically, you should have everything you need to get the job done!
If it's the front wheel drive Lincoln( Continental) it will have the front sump oil pan which you may need for install in the Packard depending on the front cross member location. It's a great swap! I'm very happy with my swap. I've been driving the car problem free for three years now.

November 18, 2019 9:51 am  #3

Hi Dan

It's a SOHC... and he tells me it does not have the PAT system. He also was telling me that
these motors have a problem with the rocker arm staying on the valve stem, never heard of that one...
but he has a way of exaggerating 
 I"ve not seen the car. He came by the other night and just in general conversation  he's thinking of 
keeping it now... go figure. in truth I don't need another project and that $400 would be way out of my 
wallets depth, even it the motor and trans was free..

So how is the 61 with the 4.6.. which trans did you use?

I appreciate your input thanks for the reply  

November 18, 2019 11:46 am  #4

The only issues I am aware of on those engines are antifreeze leak from front of intake manifold and broken spark plugs on removal. That's a spark plug design rather than engine issue...Ford added some metal to those intakes to correct the issue. This happened in 2001 I believe.
The transmission i used was the 4R70W.
It made for an excellent swap. That car is extremely reliable, I haven't had to do a thing to that car other than a bad 02 sensor. I can cruise easily on highway with the overdrive. I'm running 3.9:1 gearing and that thing hardly revs at highway speeds. I get good gas mileage also. The only negative is the car could use a little more power. I didn't build it for speed so I guess its good enough. I considered a Lincoln or Mustang engine at the time but it all came down to availability and budget. I paid $600 bucks for the engine and tranny so I shouldn't complain about power. I wouldn't hesitate to use that engine again in another swap.

November 18, 2019 4:46 pm  #5

Supercharger, Dan, supercharger.

Board footera