Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2019 2:05 pm  #1

Coil on Plug

high All

I've seen a lot of interest on the net of converting the older Distributor style to  a coil on plug..

I did some reading and it's $$$$ as there are a couple of kits on the net.

there are man reasons for the COP,  less wire, less voltage loss, variable timing, etc.
  But you need a ECU to run the COP

But why...  we use a distributor to transmit high voltage to the plug.
 What if you we were to use say some type of  12v magneto.  with a redesigned cap just for the 
low voltage wires used on Ford COP system.  Then each coil would receive just 12v  and the coil will
boot the voltage.
   the. new designed distributor would be much smaller, design it without a rotor or the. big cap..
any thoughts... I'm just sitting here watching the BarrettJackson auction, was thinking about the COP.
Like to hear from anyone...

October 6, 2019 9:20 am  #2

Re: Coil on Plug

Like anything it comes down to cost versus reward! Would spending all of that extra money make enough of an improvement to make it worth while? Will you sleep better at night making that type of change? Haha. If you are building a show car and money is of little concern then maybe.
My two cents...spend the cash on something that gets you more bang for your buck...

October 8, 2019 5:17 pm  #3

I can't see why a person would want to do it, other than to see if it could be done. What would the real performance enhancement be in converting an old distributor ignition to a COP set up? This sounds like an awful lot of buck for your bang.

October 9, 2019 5:32 pm  #4

It's just  thinking.  
   most of the cost is very cheap... COP for Fords are all over the wreaking yards so are the   12v wire loom
It's firing the coils without a computer that is the issue...
   I'm not saying I would just junk what I have, but  I find the idea interesting..
BTW it has been done, but not the way I am presenting it... 
  they used the pickup and an ECU.. 

October 11, 2019 10:10 am  #5

I'm all for trying things and experimenting, that is what hot rodding and building stuff is all about. You could probably fire the COP's with a distributor. You'd be using low voltage instead of high voltage. A low voltage signal to fire the coil sent by a distributor, essentially a mechanical computer.

October 14, 2019 10:45 am  #6

Hi 70XL

Thats what I'm saying... 
Everyone should remember that before there was big auto companies,  cars were built in 
peoples garage... even Henry Ford...
   Did you know that GM did not event the automatic transmission, 2 men in Brazil invented it.
GM bought it from them...
   or that in the 30's Ford built car trunk lids with Plastic made from soybean...
Like I always tell people there is nothing new in automobiles from 100 year ago except computers..
  everything else is evolution... 
Hemi engine was invented in 1904 in Michigan and the 1905 Pipe. used it in Belgium 

October 30, 2019 7:11 pm  #7

The reason modern cars use that type of system is so the timing advance can be adjusted as the engine runs.  It's all based on load, RPMs, engine temperature, air temperature fuel use and emissions.  It's far more effective on an EFI car than a carb car because the ECU can also adjust fuel.  The main advantage is improved fuel economy but it can also improve power.  I don't think converting to a coil on plug system will get you anything, or at least not much without going completely in so that the timing curve is adjusted.  A better solution IMHO would be to run an MSD box and coil.  This will deliver max spark (even more than the coil at plug option) multiple spark and the best possible ignition that can be had with a distributor.  Just my $.02

November 14, 2019 8:05 am  #8

Thanks Daze
 Sorry took so long replying to this post of mine.
   Like a lot of things... when an idea hits, it's usually because we don't know the answer.. 
Yours seems  to be right on.
Best

December 8, 2019 7:22 pm  #9

Another option a lot of folks used was adapting the Ford EDIS-8 system to their older engines (EDIS stands for Electronic Distributorless Ignition System). There are loads of cars that came from the factory with it and a lot of information on adapting it to engines originally equipped with a distributor.  The system uses two coils that fire four plugs at once in a batch-fire, wasted spark method. Again, the full description is out there in spades so no sense wasting space here. As I understand it, it’s one of the dead simplest ways to convert a distributor based engine to distributorless. I won’t speak to the merits (or lack thereof) for converting to distributorless, I’m just letting you know of another available option.

January 10, 2021 2:48 pm  #10

Its pretty common with a Haltech in Austrailia. Most have done it by setting up a crank trigger, like we have done in racing for decades. 

Board footera