Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2019 4:36 pm  #1

Autolite 4300 4V carburetor

I have a 72 N code 429 that runs great under normal driving. My problem is, any time I floor it, it will then flood when I come to a stop and die. I have to restart it as a flooded condition and two foot it home. Has anyone else had this problem? 
Thanks in advance,
rcode

October 24, 2019 3:35 pm  #2

Re: Autolite 4300 4V carburetor

Not sure what is happening, but the first thing that comes to mind is the choke. The initial pump of the gas pedal on cold starts is to set the choke to full rich and high idle for the cold engine to start and run. the high idle is supposed to come off when you kick the throttle down. Your choke, and/or high idle, may be being set, even though the engine is warm and the choke should not come on, when you floor the gas. That may explain the rich condition you experience after going full throttle on a warm engine. Have you rebuilt the carb? it sounds like a good cleaning and replacement of worn parts is in order.

October 24, 2019 4:31 pm  #3

Re: Autolite 4300 4V carburetor

Thanks for the input. I will definitely look at those suggestions and report back. Again, great thoughts.

Board footera