Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2013 9:34 am  #1

Any one have a fix for resonance harmonics in your exhaust??

For those of you not familiar with the term resonance harmonics it has to do with vibration and sound.  If you hold a piece of exhaust pipe (or almost any object) and strike it, the tone it produces is at a specific frequency.  If you can put sound into the object at that same frequency the object will begin to vibrate more intensely and produce a louder sound of its own.  This is exactly what is happening on my Galaxie.  At 2000 RPM the frequency f the exhaust and the engine match and the exhaust begins to build up a tone.  The longer I hold at 2000 RPM the louder to tone becomes.  The immediate solution is to increase or decrease my RPMs to mismatch the frequencies and eliminate the tone.  Problem is given my current gearing 2000 RPMs happens at several common speed limits so I hear the tome often and if I am going the speed limit not varying my speed it is constant and builds in intensity.  I am already going to change out my gearing which should make 2000 RPMs something I pass through rather than hold at but if there is something I can also do to the exhaust to help eliminate the problem I would love to here about it.

August 7, 2013 10:59 am  #2

Re: Any one have a fix for resonance harmonics in your exhaust??

I think about the only thing you can do is change the mass. Add some material to the pipes and you will change their frequency. Droaning could also have to do with your mufflers, so a change there may take care of the problem.

Board footera