Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2019 6:33 am  #1

Rust Removal

Im sure this topic has been covered, but for those who are newer to auto restoration 
  Rust removal is always a problem and costly..
 Your friend for smaller parts is "White Vinegar"

If you can dip the part, it takes between 24 to 48 hrs... I"m not saying it's perfect, but for the price..
Walmart.   house brand is $2.68 gal.... you see commercial stuff for $19 -  30 a gal..

I have used it for years now, I also use Tech grade phosphoric  Acid... which can be used on the body
of the car, keep it out of the sun...

A point, I removed the headers from my project just to get it out of the way, very rusty 
so I took it out back and dipped as much as possible into my 5 gal pal... 2 days later I pulled them out
 put them on a rack and went about my business.. yesterday. looking at them .. they still seemed very 
rusty.. I hit the soaked area's with a wire brush and the rust just flaked off, and shiny metal under neath..
  On my outing today I'm going to look for a bigger plastic container so I can put the whole header in it
and other larger parts... 
  Just thought I'd pass this Tip along...

September 16, 2019 11:18 am  #2

Re: Rust Removal

I have been using citric acid for a long time, I use 1 pound to 5 gallons of water. I soak small parts in cat litter pails, bigger parts in Rubbermaid tubs. Anything is rust free in a few days, sometimes shorter. I did the front of my hood using an under-bed storage bin. Lashed the hood to my deck and soaked it for 5 days. Don't forget to neutralize the acid with baking soda and water after the dip is done.

Leave the powder in the original wrapping otherwise it looks like a Scarface sized hunk of nose candy. I keep mine in an old Tupperware container with a lid.

Last edited by BOBSS396 (September 16, 2019 11:20 am)

Board footera