Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2019 1:51 pm  #1

1962 galaxie disc brake conversion

what is the best source for the parts needed to convert from drum to disc?

September 10, 2019 4:48 am  #2

Re: 1962 galaxie disc brake conversion

Hello
   I don't know if any company has a conversion kit, there might be one, but $$$ will be involved.
Here is what I did,  I had a 77 Ranchero, (LTD II)  which was a junk pile.. when I got it..
I took the spindles and put them on my 62 Wagon... the only mod needed is to ream out the 
hole for the Tie Rod stud... just a little.. 
  Of course you need a dual master cylinder, I'd change out my brake lines. ( use the armor) lines
      Don't know if you have manual or power, but power would be nice.. I made that upgrade
using original Ford boost... (funny 1962 and the booster is plastic)
   That was it... 
You'd need to find the spindles  maybe cross reference them  to see which will work..
Best

September 16, 2019 5:19 am  #3

I bought a kit from Performance Suspension Technology ,included everything and was bolt on for my "61". Couldn't have been easier to install.

September 16, 2019 11:15 am  #4

Look at Scarebird's stuff. He does some complete kits but mainly does the brackets, bearings and spindle adapters. he furnishes a parts list of rotors, pads, etc. which is available at any parts store. Wilwood makes a nice kit but is close to $600. I went with a brand-x kit and struggled with it but got the parts to go together. I used a '73-ish Mustang master for disc-drums and used an aftermarket proportioning valve I got at Summit.

Board footera