Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2019 12:23 pm  #1

62 Galexy

Hi All
 I'm looking for a photo that shows how the rear bumper is mounted to the frame..
   I know there are 5 pieces
 1 long with curved ends and notches. the others  2 semi straight and 2 with angles
just can't find the picture I took when I took them off the car

BTW  I have the service manual... not much help, at least to me..
Best
Dave

August 13, 2019 9:27 pm  #2

Re: 62 Galexy

I will go out and try to take a pic tomorrow... hope I remember

August 14, 2019 4:57 am  #3

1960/64 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog available on a C/D from hipoparts.com

Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / 1928/89 Ford Passenger Car & 1928/2001 Ford Truck ~ Part Number Research & VIN Decoding

August 14, 2019 6:30 am  #4

[img]/Users/davebwtiner/Desktop/Catch All/Ford/Rear Bumper supports /IMG_4853.JPG[/img][img]/Users/davebwtiner/Desktop/Catch All/Ford/Rear Bumper supports /IMG_4852.JPG[/img][img]/Users/davebwtiner/Desktop/Catch All/Ford/Rear Bumper supports /IMG_4851.JPG[/img]Thanks BKW and Daze

Seems like Apple iCloud took my photos folder... I no longer even think how these things
happen... It also took 90% of my music library... Now I can't download them from iCloud...
   OH Well... 
 Best
Dave
This is all because I got a energy boost for some reason to get my 62 wagon back on the road.
    It has my 351c with a 4r70. Want to use the column shift, and I have a cable from the donner
car... so going to back a bracket  to mount on the trans, then run the cable through it, to the 
trans arm, making it a push instead of pull... so Park will be in normal position.
 Have not thought about the gear indicator yet, but will when I get the setup installed.
 pulled the steering shaft to clean,  and paint... should all go back in tomorrow...  

I'd like to update this post, and thank Daze for posting that picture.
  I spent the last 90 min under the car figuring it out.. not so simple as it might seem..
First let me give you some info... the 2 plates that attach to each frame rail uses 1.25 x 1\2" bolt   (2) per side
there is also a bar that crosses the back of the car for bumper support.. it uses 1.25 x 7\16  (2) per side

Well I tried to post 3 photo's but nothing worked... 

Last edited by Sanddoc (August 15, 2019 7:27 am)

August 14, 2019 6:28 pm  #5

Let me know if you need something more

August 15, 2019 7:13 am  #6

Thanks Daze
  I went outside at 5AM to work on that and I just came in from figuring it out...
I'm going to post some pictures with captions I hope...
At least I know what I did is correct

August 15, 2019 9:01 am  #7

Daze  if you don't mind me asking
  Have you made any changes to the side trim retaining clips...
I don't like the idea of having to remove an inside panel to undue some nuts (exception)
 I remember just after I got my 56 Packard  and found out most of the side molding was
held in place by metal spring, I found a plastic retainer that worked fine and did not damage to the paint
  And thanks again for that picture... not mounting the bumper any time soon
as I have some body work that needs to be done the passenger side and then I still need to paint...
Best
Thanks everyone... 

August 15, 2019 9:19 pm  #8

Funny you should ask as I am in the middle of that right now.  I am reworking a set of trim now to go on the car.  When I first did the car I deleted the trim and sold the pieces I had.  The P-side holes were filled with bondo but then I bought a welder and welded up the d-side holes.  I painted the car myself and it looked ok but a few years back I paid to have someone else to sand and reshoot it.  The painter recommended popping out the bondo (no cracks, issues or failures) and replacing it with led.  So I agreed but now all those repairs are starting to rust/pop through the paint.  I am going to pop the led out and reinstall the trim.  I spent over a year finding all 20 pieces (my car is a 4-door) The colored aluminum wide strips will be held on with 1/16" thick double sided adhesive and the center stainless pieces will be held on with the bolt in spring clips.  So yes I will need to remove the door panels to install the trim.

August 17, 2019 2:44 pm  #9

sounds good..
    won't the double sided tap make the molding stand off the body?  or am I thinking of the wrong thing..
I'm going to start learning how to weld.. I have a mig...

Just came back from the El Segundo car show.  El Segundo Ca... getting bigger

August 17, 2019 5:16 pm  #10

Sanddoc wrote:

Just came back from the El Segundo car show.  El Segundo Ca... getting bigger.

What did you drive to El Smellgundo, the Galaxie or the Packard?

When I owned both (1963 1/2 Galaxie 500XL F/B and 1956 Packard 400 H/T), took the Packard unless it was a Ford only show.

Last edited by BKW (August 17, 2019 5:17 pm)

Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / 1928/89 Ford Passenger Car & 1928/2001 Ford Truck ~ Part Number Research & VIN Decoding

Board footera