Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2019 1:48 pm  #1

62 galaxie 500 xl instrument cluster removal

I need help removing the instrument cluster from my 62 galaxie 500xl, I removed all the screws that I could see and it didn't budge, seems like I need to remove parts from the steering column but I don't see any fasteners, I don't want to pry anything and brake it
this in on an all original 62 with 53000 on it

July 26, 2019 9:10 am  #2

Re: 62 galaxie 500 xl instrument cluster removal

Had the same issue with my 61. Did you remove the gear indicator and attached trim piece that goes around steering column? There may be a couple of cluster screws hiding there?
Mine took quite a bit of effort to pop loose. I had a buddy pry out the top of cluster with a flat pry tool while I pushed the cluster from the rear.  Pry in different locations a bit at a time rather than using lots of force in only one location. You shouldn't break anything, it's all metal.

July 26, 2019 11:15 am  #3

have not been able to remove any pieces around top of steering column, no fasteners visible, ,  car is a floor shift automatic, did the prying around top of the speedometer, no movement, the bottom piece with the warning lights seems to be held in place

July 28, 2019 9:54 am  #4

Should be a total of 10 screws. 4 at top of cluster, 4 at base of cluster and 2 more where the oil/ gen light piece of cluster is. Other than that...I got nothing. I just remember it took some effort to pull out but went back in a lot easier.

Board footera