Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2019 6:15 pm  #1

Anyone put a Hydraulic Clutch in their big Gal?

I just ordered a rebuild kit for my Toploader and since this build is for a daily driver wanted to have a more modern setup. Anyone do a hydraulic throw out bearing & clutch master on a 4 speed Gal? If so, are you happy with it and how did you do it as I only see one kit available? Thanks

Last edited by EVIL XL (April 3, 2019 6:16 pm)

April 15, 2019 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Anyone put a Hydraulic Clutch in their big Gal?

I'd be interested in seeing how a 5speed and hydraulic (or cable) clutch would go in behind a 6 bolt 289 myself. Two more gears would give the old girl better legs....

April 18, 2019 1:30 pm  #3

I don't know how I missed this original post.  I personally am not a fan of the hydraulic throw out bearing.  If not set up absolutely correctly they are problematic and you loose all feel for what the clutch is doing.  Of corse at this point of running a 4-speed the hydraulic throw out bearing is the only way to go.

April 18, 2019 1:40 pm  #4

Raccoonman wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing how a 5speed and hydraulic (or cable) clutch would go in behind a 6 bolt 289 myself. Two more gears would give the old girl better legs....

I have a T5 in my 62 and I love it.  I used the hydraulic setup I designed (and sell) for my Mustang.  Took a little extra work to get the MC mounted up and working with the correct pedal ratio, but once I overcame that the rest was a piece of cake.   right now it is behind a 302 but eventually I will be dropping in a 351.  The T5 is a Z-spec with extra mods done like steel front bearing retainer, billet steel counter gear stabilizer and preloaded bearings which punch the the torque and HP rating of the T5 up to around 400.  Should be perfect behind the mild 351.

April 20, 2019 6:17 pm  #5

Daze wrote:

I personally am not a fan of the hydraulic throw out bearing.  If not set up absolutely correctly they are problematic and you loose all feel for what the clutch is doing.  Of corse at this point of running a 4-speed the hydraulic throw out bearing is the only way to go.

I am totally confused.  Not a fan but it's the only way to go?

April 20, 2019 7:30 pm  #6

Ya I didn't say that very well.

I don't like hydraulic throw out bearings.  With that said the only way I know of to run a hydraulic clutch on a 4-speed is to use a hydraulic throw out bearing.  Thats what I was saying.

July 20, 2019 1:19 pm  #7

I put a 460 with a toploader 4 speed in my 61 mercury meteor,i used a macleod hydraulic throw out bearing and master cylinder. it works very smoothly, took a while to get the fhrow out bearing measurement just right
I am not fond of the pedal travel but it does work ok

Board footera