Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2019 5:49 pm  #1

Headers ...69 Galaxie 500 Xl sport roof 351W

Hello everyone,
Got to looking for forums and ran across this one.
Seems like a really good place to talk about a lot of different things.
I have a question. I am rebuilding my 351W and looking to put long tube headers on.
My issues is trying to find some online that say they will work with the Galaxie.
Was hoping I could pick your brains and try to get some suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.

May 28, 2019 3:12 pm  #2

Re: Headers ...69 Galaxie 500 Xl sport roof 351W

Hi there.  I have a '69 with a 351W as well and will be interested in the answer to your question.

Wondering in the meantime, is your's a 4V or a 2V?  And have you changed the intake manifold or heads or are they still stock?

Doug

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

May 28, 2019 8:12 pm  #3

Hello,

Mine is a 2v.
It is currently out of the car and being rebuilt.
Didn't go crazy, mostly a standard rebuild but they are putting a different cam, intake, carb.

Bobby

May 30, 2019 5:34 am  #4

Hi Bobby.  Mine is a 2V also.  

It's good that you're taking care of the cam, intake and carb, you'll get more out of the headers once they are installed.

Recommend you lose the stock air cleaner assembly if you haven't already, it's cleverly designed to restrict the flow of air into the engine. I went with a circular K&N filter.  I also put a larger power valve in my carb, and a Pertronix ignitor module in the disty plus a hotter coil and MSD wires, and dual H pipe exhaust with Magnaflows.  All these little things pepped up the power curve considerably.

I'm quite keen to hear details when you can share them about your choice of cam, intake and carb, and how your rebuilt mill runs when it is all back together.

Cheers,

Doug

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

June 14, 2019 11:11 am  #5

Your engine build sounds similar to mine, 351W with stock heads, mild cam, performer intake to convert to 4V, with Holley 670 Street Avenger carb. I have long tube headers and I can tell you you won't find any listing for a direct application. I wanted Hooker 6901's, but they were out of stock, so I installed Flowtech 12100's. We had to dimple one primary tube to provide additional clearance at the pitman arm and we turned the collectors a little to better align with the exhaust piping at the trans crossmember. You should not expect any header install to be a simple drop in as every car is different. If headers do not have to be tweaked, especially for an indirect application, then you are very lucky. If you want coated headers, buy plain steel, fit them, then send them out for coating after any dimpling and cutting is done to create a proper fit.

Board footera