Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2018 10:44 am  #1

Neutral Safety Switch adjustments ?

Ref. 59 Galaxie cruisomatic;  I was told that it can be adjusted.  On cold starts, I can not find the sweet spot
for the shift lever.

December 27, 2018 8:47 am  #2

Re: Neutral Safety Switch adjustments ?

To adjust the switch, loosen the neutral switch to steering column attaching screws. Shift the selector switch to the N detent position. Move the switch in the elongated mounting holes until a .090 inch gauge pin can be inserted through the switch housing and into the switch plate. You will see a small gauge pin hole on the face of the switch at about the 7 o'clock position.
With the gauge pin in place, tighten the attaching screws and then remove the gauge pin.
Recheck the starter circuit in all selector positions. The circuit must be open in all positions except N and P.
If that doesn't work, I would suspect a broken switch. If you remove it and see broken plastic tabs inside, you need to replace. I would think a plastic piece from 59 is most likely brittle and a good chance broken. I was able to find an OEM on EBay. Getting hard to find and a little pricey tho!

Board footera