Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2018 2:34 am  #1

New member, new car, old questions (I'm sure) about a '63.5 XL500

Hi
I'm a brand-new member to the forum, I have a black/black 63.5 4-spd car with ps & pb (drum).

I have a couple of questions that members may be able to answer based on some things I've seen posted in previous posts.My brake pedal appears to be very close to the floor for a brake pedal - I thought it would be approx. the same height as the clutch, but it's about the same or slightly lower than the gas pedal - is this normal? It won't come up any higher... I'm thinking that the best way to handle this may be to put in a longer rod from the pedal to the back of the booster? The operation is fine, there is very little movement in the pedal when used and the brakes work fine, it's just low...

Secondly (and this is probably familiar to some of you) the seat height is higher than I'd like. I'm quite tall (6' 3") and the seat is all the way back, but my head is pressed firmly into the headliner - is this normal for a 63.5 car? The car was originally a XL so don't believe that the seat risers have been changed (from bench to bucket) but is there a way to lower the height of the seats?
 - Cut the seat brackets?
 - Cut the seat risers?
 - Remove some springs from within the seats?
 - Something else?
Thanks in advance
Jeff

Last edited by Jiffy (May 29, 2018 2:35 am)

May 29, 2018 8:25 am  #2

Re: New member, new car, old questions (I'm sure) about a '63.5 XL500

Jiffy wrote:

I have a couple of questions that members may be able to answer based on some things I've seen posted in previous posts.My brake pedal appears to be very close to the floor for a brake pedal - I thought it would be approx. the same height as the clutch, but it's about the same or slightly lower than the gas pedal - is this normal? It won't come up any higher... I'm thinking that the best way to handle this may be to put in a longer rod from the pedal to the back of the booster? The operation is fine, there is very little movement in the pedal when used and the brakes work fine, it's just low...

Welcome Jeff.  I've driven quite a few mid-60s Fords over the years with and without power brakes; including the late 63 in my sig.  Often the brake pedal may be slighly lower than the clutch but from your description it sounds abnormally low. If your ride does not have the original master cylinder, chances are the individual that installed it did not put in a longer push rod as you suspect.  When I upgraded my MC to a dual bowl unit this past winter, it needed the a longer rod and the SSBC part worked.  I've also read that some guys will get out a welder and lengthen a nominally stock rod (Daze?).

Jiffy wrote:

Secondly (and this is probably familiar to some of you) the seat height is higher than I'd like. I'm quite tall (6' 3") and the seat is all the way back, but my head is pressed firmly into the headliner - is this normal for a 63.5 car? The car was originally a XL so don't believe that the seat risers have been changed (from bench to bucket) but is there a way to lower the height of the seats?

Are the seats original?   When a friend had bucket seats 'restored' in a Mustang, the new foam was WAY to much.  Don't know about the floor pan set up in a full-sized Ford, but many Mustang guys have been know to effectively lower the floor itself (some day I need to man-up and fix the spring 'sag' on my bench seat).

Last edited by pkevins (May 29, 2018 8:29 am)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

May 29, 2018 4:19 pm  #3

Hi Kevin
Thanks for responding - the car has the original XL seats and I think they've been recovered. My brother put new covers and cushions on his '70 Mach1 and they're now too stiff and too tall but I'm not sure if that is my issue or not.
I'll go measure the seats today and see if they're significantly different to your measurements.

The booster and the master both look to be original too from what I can see - I'll have to get under there at some stage and see what condition the rod is in, but here in Australia, welding a brake push-rod is a no-no!! That link to the adjustible push-rod may be the life saver I need!! Thanks for that

Last edited by Jiffy (May 29, 2018 4:20 pm)

May 29, 2018 4:31 pm  #4

Make sure the pedal arm comes up all the way to the bumper under the dash before you start tearing into too much stuff. If it is resting as it should you may either be where it's supposed to be, or there may be a bumper problem, etc.
The rod really only raises a problem if you push the pedal down and it goes an abnormal distance before you start getting braking action (Which you said wasn't a problem)...

May 29, 2018 4:40 pm  #5

Jiffy wrote:

Hi Kevin
Thanks for responding - the car has the original XL seats and I think they've been recovered. My brother put new covers and cushions on his '70 Mach1 and they're now too stiff and too tall but I'm not sure if that is my issue or not.
I'll go measure the seats today and see if they're significantly different to your measurements.

The booster and the master both look to be original too from what I can see - I'll have to get under there at some stage and see what condition the rod is in, but here in Australia, welding a brake push-rod is a no-no!! That link to the adjustible push-rod may be the life saver I need!! Thanks for that

I hope that after nearly 55 years, the master cylinder is not original....  FWIW, the '62 Service Manual (the 63 only warranted a supplement, so you need both, which I cannot recommend too much), has some content about the release of pedal pressure; brake shoe retracting springs, hydraulic fluid, MC piston, push rod and diagphragm all have to do their part to enable the pedal to be fully released.  All to say, that if the MC/booster are original, lots of things can be worn and if not, then my experience could be of interest.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

May 29, 2018 4:59 pm  #6

haha, yes - I would expect it's been changed at some stage in 55 years - original specification is probably more accurate....

So, Glenn - I cannot raise the pedal AT ALL - it moves a small amount when pressure is applied DOWNWARDS to activate the brakes, but will not raise at all if I try to lift it, and I don't think it comes anywhere near a height-stop, but I'll continue to check.

Here's a photo of the pedal and the master cylinder:

July 3, 2018 2:42 am  #7

ok - so here are the photos of the seat mounts - one looks bent but I'm not sure if that's the normal position OR it it has been bent up? What do you guys think?
Both sides:

Board footera