Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2018 12:18 pm  #1

Power Window Motor Supplier

Hello All,
               I have a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL and the power window motors are failing (they will go down but not up).  I have searched all over the internet to find a supplier that has a new replacement or rebuild, but can't find one.  The ones I have found only go back to 1965.  

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  Any help would be much appreciated.  

sandrone

May 15, 2018 5:54 pm  #2

Re: Power Window Motor Supplier

Althought I've not had a reason to trade with him, I would try Bud's Classic Cars.
He bought Greg Donahue's inventory some time back and the catalog lists some power window parts.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

May 15, 2018 8:29 pm  #3

Been down the same road!
Have you considered taking your motors to a starter/alternator rebuilding shop? I did this with my 61 window motors and had them rebuild. I also could not find a supplier for new ones. I tried used ones on Ebay only to end up with a anemic motor that needed rebuilding anyway. Best of luck.

May 16, 2018 11:27 am  #4

Kevin,
 thanks for the info.  My Galaxie VIN code says that my roof should be Wimbledon  White like your ride.  I photoshoped a picture of mine and asked my friends to vote what looked better and about 95% said the white top.  Do you have any pics of your ride that I could see.  Here is my photoshoped pic.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hoh9xl.jpg

May 16, 2018 11:28 am  #5

dan_6776   thanks for the info.  I will need to check around and see if any of the starter/alternator shops here in Cincinnati will do it and the cost.

May 16, 2018 10:41 pm  #6

sandrone wrote:

Kevin,
 thanks for the info.  My Galaxie VIN code says that my roof should be Wimbledon  White like your ride.  I photoshoped a picture of mine and asked my friends to vote what looked better and about 95% said the white top.  Do you have any pics of your ride that I could see.  Here is my photoshoped pic.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hoh9xl.jpg

You're welcome; keep us posted regardless of how you fix it.

This one probably is the easiest to link for now to hightlight the contrast. 
https://plus.google.com/events/gallery/c37j8csvf7pi084iatecd5ipnq8?pid=5924598940825963170&oid=112402270747317732862

Interestingly, the clickable thumbnail I posted when I joined this forum in January '17 still works
http://galaxieforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=28&p=13
(2nd post on page 13).

Funny you bring up the two-tone topic.  When my dad started his research that led to buying the car, he thought he wanted one that was all red; interior and exterior.  But it was near the end of the model year and the dealer (Woody Sander Ford in Cincinnati, btw) said he'd probably have to wait for a '64, until they found this one.  I have the original window sticker, listing the ordering dealer as "Lee Ford Inc" in Pennington Gap, VA.  My dad also keeps telling me he shoulda' ordered a 406 or 427, tho' I suspect one of us would have wrecked it.  Heck the cost of the 390 was less than the 4 speed option.

Last edited by pkevins (May 16, 2018 10:43 pm)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

Board footera