Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2013 1:04 pm  #1

Loud clunk!

Hello everybody.  I just bought a 66 convertible with a 390.  It needed a fuel pump when I bought it, but I heard it run and idle with a makeshift gas can and an electric pump.  It didn't smoke and it sounded pretty good.  Today I went to change the fuel pump... Now the motor tries to turn over, but there is a loud clunk! What could I break if I put the fuel pump in incorrectly?  It felt like it went in right... I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or something that I did.  The car has been sitting for years before I bought it.  All the fluids looked good, I thought this would be an easy project... Thanks for any help!
-Matt

June 15, 2013 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Loud clunk!

a loud click could be lots of things.  First thing I would do is remove the pump and turn the engine over.   If the click goes away you know it has to do with the pump.  If it continues to click then try and figure out where it is coming from.  Sounds like that can be all kinds of things from major issues to minor ones.  

June 15, 2013 6:46 pm  #3

Right on. I pulled the fuel pump off and it still made the clunk.  I didn't think I could hurt anything if I put the fuel pump in and it missed it's mark.  Also, the battery was going dead so maybe the starter isn't getting enough juice... Seemed too loud to be the starter though. I'll try a fresh battery tomorrow.

June 15, 2013 6:54 pm  #4

Thats probably major then.  Could be a valve it could be a broken piston ring.  Take the valve covers off and pull all the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand see if you can get it to clunk.  As you turn it by hand see if any of the valves look like they are not moving correctly.  See if you can pinpoint which cylinder is clunking.  I would not turn it over with the battery.  At this point that could make things worse.  

June 15, 2013 7:54 pm  #5

Ok Thank you, I'll do what you suggested before I turn the motor over again.  I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. I'm not sure what that clunk is, but it sure sounds expensive!

June 17, 2013 12:00 pm  #6

Well after I thought about the circumstances leading up to the clunk, I decided that it had to just be the battery.  So against your sound advice, I gambled with a different battery...  Turns out it was just the starter not getting enough juice.  I am surprised how loud a noise the starter made, but it's turning over just fine now.  I've had a fuel supply problem, and after a filter, new hoses, and a new fuel pump, I discovered the rubber hose that connects to the gas tank was crimped.  So all in all a good day working on the Galaxie.

Board footera