Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2013 9:19 pm  #1

cruise control

on November 22, 2012, 5:16 pm, zray wrote:

anyone know a place to buy NOS parts to get my cruise control operational again and/or any recommendations on who would be an authority on the repair of these contraptions ?

Z.

'66 Galaxie 500
'65 HiPo Mustang

on December 4, 2012, 8:55 pm, Daze wrote:

I don't know about original OEM parts but
I know 70s era stuff can easily be made to work.

on December 11, 2012, 8:52 pm, zray wrote:

I imagine there are several ways to get it to work, but I'd prefer to keep it in line with the original engineering.

Z.

on December 11, 2012, 9:19 pm, 70XL wrote:

Do you have the part numbers for pieces you are looking for?

on December 11, 2012, 9:48 pm, zray wrote:

noI don't. But I hope to get a shop manual and parts book over the holidays and do some investigating. I know I need the cable that goes from the dash control to the under hood unit, as it is kinked.

aside from the cruise control and the windshield washer, everything is original, or repaired to be "as original". The car has only 56,000 miles on it and had never been outside the city limits of Topeka before I bought it. It had a nasty exhaust manifold leak, which I took as an "opportunity" to take the heads off and have them restored. Also had the ex. manifolds resurfaced so the manifold/head mating area was perfectly flat and put it back together w/o any gasket there. No more exhaust leaks .

My other classic car is a '65 K code Mustang which is taking up too much time. A conversion to Weber carbs is fighting me pretty good, but I'm winning.

Z

on December 12, 2012, 1:39 pm, Jayz66 wrote:

I like the 66. I wish my dash pad looked even half that good.
Jay

January 4, 2013 9:08 am  #2

Re: cruise control

Nice 66, I have a 67 I'm restoring, eventually. 

As with mine, I'm finding it hard to find any pre 67 cruise parts.  They went to a more electronic style design in 68, the 67 and under were mostly all mechanical based.  To be honest the 67 and older stuff never worked well and always required maintenance.  I'm planning on retrofitting a newer cruise control unit into the car but use the original switches etc to make it look factory.  It will work better and be more reliable, not to mention finding working replacement parts is almost impossible.

I need a replacement end button for the turn signal lever for cruise control activation but that really means finding a whole new turn signal lever for cruise.  The odd time I find one on eBay they are $700+ which I'm not willing to spend.

January 4, 2013 2:21 pm  #3

Re: cruise control

677litre wrote:

I'm planning on retrofitting a newer cruise control unit into the car but use the original switches etc to make it look factory.  It will work better and be more reliable, not to mention finding working replacement parts is almost impossible.

Before I converted my 62 from an automatic to a manual I was going to install the cruise control from a 78 granada.  Would have been a really easy swap.  There is a sensor that goes in line of the speedometer cable, an actuator at the carburetor, a controller and the switches.  The switches are just buttons with a built in resister.  The different levels of resistance tell the module to do different things to do such as on, off and set, so any switch can be made to work simply by adding a resistor of the correct resistance in line.

Board footera