Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2017 2:12 am  #1

Rack and Pinion upgrade for 70s Full Size Fords?

Hi guys,
having tasted the full power of my upgraded engine on a 120mph Autobahn run, I have developed a strong taste for a more precise steering.
So, there are two ways to go here: Either get a shorter ratio gearbox from Redhead or so or thrown the whole recirculating ball setup out and install a proper rack and pinion setup.

I've seen upgrades for 60s Galaxies available from Unisteer and others, but nothing for the 70s version.

Can anyone help?

October 16, 2017 11:02 am  #2

Re: Rack and Pinion upgrade for 70s Full Size Fords?

I have not found any "kits". I think that any R&P set up would have to be custom fabricated. Flaming River makes a rear steer rack and there may be a number of donors in the junk yard. Take a look at Daze's thread on his R&P conversion. The geometry is different on his older chassis, but the principles should be the same.

October 19, 2017 2:08 pm  #3

IMPRESSIVE fabrication work by Daze! Sadly, I talked it through with my trusted mechanic and he says German TÜV will never approve of such a radical mod in the steering tech. So I guess I'll just by a four-bolt Saginaw box from Redhead and be done with it.

October 19, 2017 4:11 pm  #4

Maybe a complete, new Art Morrison chassis for updated and upgraded suspension and steering? I'm sure that would make the car a whole lot more confident feeling at Autobahn speeds. Certainly not a cheap solution. Let us know how the new steering box works out.

Board footera