Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2013 11:43 pm  #1

New to the Forum

Hello,

I just joined the forum.  I bought a 1964 Galaxie 500XL Fastback 352 motor 8 years ago from the original owner who lives next door to my inlaws. I had ben admiring the car for years and when it went up for sale I grabbed it for my then 7 year old son.  We drove it a few times and did just a little work on it then parked for almost 8 years.  My son took greart pride over the past 8 years showing all his freinds that he had a car already.  Now my son is 16 years old and we rolled the car out last month and started to restore it to its former glory.  We rebuilt the front suspension and steering, the engine and complete brake system.  The interior was pretty well shot, remnants and duct tape.  We now have stripped the interior and installed carpet pad in the entire car.  Waiting for upholstery kit and carpet from Dearborn now.  Car is black with the two tone teal interior, but we are changing the interior to red because that's what the kid wants.  Then we will need to replace every piece of weather stripping on the car plus the front and rear glass seals.  The car will get a fresh coast of black paint once all the weather stripping and seals are removed. Then on to wheels, tires and a hidden stereo system.  I will post up some pics soon and will gladly accept any advice along the way. We are sure to have many questions.

June 3, 2013 6:48 pm  #2

Re: New to the Forum

Hi and welcome, it's great to share your hobby with your kids.

June 5, 2013 8:30 am  #3

Welcome to the forum.

June 5, 2013 10:13 am  #4

any update on thoe pictures??

June 9, 2013 10:35 pm  #5

Not yet, work has been crazy. I hope to get some time to post pics soon.  Trying to figure out how to hook up our new Flamethrower 1.5 ohms coil now.  Instructions say I need to remove or bypass the resistor.  I followed the instructions and tested it in place with the key on and got a reading of about 6.65 volts. Instructions said if not getting 12 volts this indicates a resistor is in the vehicle and must be removed (or bypassed I guess) so that the voltage at the coil is 12 volts approximately.  I'm not sure where this resistor is located or how to bypass it.  Any advice appreciated greatly.

All we are doing is upgrading the standard coil to the Flamethrower first generation coil. We are not installing the Petronix Ignitor at this time but plan to in the future.

June 10, 2013 7:21 am  #6

Ford does not use a balest resister. Instead they use a resister wire. It is pink on the outside silver on the inside and should run from the ignition switch to about half way to the coil where it is spliced into regular wire.

Also make sure you are running quality plug wires with the hotter coil. If you use old OEM wires not only will you not get the benefit of the hotter coil but you also run the risk of crossfire.

August 19, 2013 3:08 pm  #7

Thanks for the advise Daze.  In my enthusiasim to get the car to the paint shop a cople weeks ago I forgot all about the resistor wire and fired the car up and drove 15 miles to the shop.  Car ran normally....will running this resistor with the Flamethrower cause issues?

Board footera