Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2017 12:32 pm  #1

cruise o matic transmission

So I just completed some upgrades and now I am back on the road again.  I can't remember if I should be driving in D1 or D2 because when I change between them I here and feel no difference. 

1. What gear should I drive in normally?
2. What could be the reason it feels no different?  

Thanks!

June 19, 2017 1:14 pm  #2

Re: cruise o matic transmission

Do you have the dual range like I have in my '65 where the slot where Drive is in most cars actually start the trans out in 2nd and feels alot like a chevy powerglide? If so the it would be the slot where 2 would be on a lot of newer autos. This would net you the start in first gear.

June 19, 2017 2:05 pm  #3

guitar74, thanks for the reply.  That is what I thought. D2 is right below neutral and D1 is at the bottom.  I have been driving it in D2 but when I put it in D1 there was no change and I thought it would have revved up.

June 19, 2017 3:25 pm  #4

For what it's worth, at "minimum throttle" (whatever that means), the upshift point on the dual range COM from 1st to 2nd is 8 to 10 MPH, at least so stated in the '62 Galaxie FSM and 7 to 9 in my '66 Mustang FSM.  Not that I'd ever condone high speed driving, but if you ... had to floor it from a standing start, would you eventually get two upshifts?  At maximum throttle, the 62 Ford factory service manual lists the D1 to D2 shift point at 36-46 MPH, depending on the V8 that's driving it.  I can attest I have to focus to feel the upshift in my Mustang's dual range C4...

Anyway, to answer your first question, my vote is you start in D1.  The D2 setting one of Ford's more controversial ideas; e.g., to reduce the likielihood of spinning the wheels in snow or rain.

One more possibility, although perhaps at the margins, is what fluid was used in the rebuild. Historically, Type 'F' led to firmer shifts.  Still a favorite of drag racers who use a bow-tie so-called 'power'glide.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

June 20, 2017 4:49 am  #5

pkevins,
             Thanks for the info. I think I will do a little more research as well.

Board footera