Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2013 5:14 am  #1

Door window help

Hi all  
i badly need yr help as I'm new to ford and I've bought myself a Canadian built RHD UK new 1964 Galaxie 500 convertible with a 390 an auto box 
shes fairly solid with a little bit of rust along the rear inside trunk seam. Trunk lid and left hand door (yr drivers my passenger) are rotton but she came with gud replacements shells.

my first problem (of many I'm sure) and question is on removing the internal window mechanism I've found it to be partly unusable and have possibly sourced another complete door state side but noticed that its coming from a 500xl 2 door coupe/fastback
i think it'll fit ok but it's fitted with power windows where my only had manual hand wind.
will I be able to use this door and are the internal parts interchangeable ir can I easily remove power regulator and refit manual?

sorry it's long winded and much appreciation for any and all help
rob

May 21, 2013 8:11 am  #2

Re: Door window help

Uk500 wrote:

will I be able to use this door and are the internal parts interchangeable ir can I easily remove power regulator and refit manual?

I am just guessing but I think the doors would be interchangeable with regard to power or manual windows.  Accessories were most often put on after the shells of the cars were built.  This means in most cases the major parts were set up to work with all accessories.  A perfect example of this with a lot of cars is a clutch linkage hole.  even the automatic cars had a knockout stamped in to the firewall that could easily be removed for clutch linkage.  I would assume the same is true of the window mechanism in relation to the door.

May 22, 2013 1:06 pm  #3

Re: Door window help

The window regulators are removable, so you can swap your manual regulator into the replacement door.

Board footera