Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2013 4:59 pm  #1

This convoluted mess has left me exhaust(ed)

I have been working on the Galaxies exhaust and have finally gotten past the hardest parts.  With the headers not meant for my Galaxie... strike that.  With the headers and engine not meant for my Galaxie... strike that too.  With the headers, engine, transmission and transmission crossmeber ALL not meant for my Galaxie, routing these pipes has been a bit of a challenge.  To add to it I do not have a pipe bender so I have been using the cut at an angle, rotate 180º and weld technique.  It has taken a lot of fitting but I am happy with how it is looking.  The back half should be 10 X easier, with a lot less cutting and welding.  I know I know famous last words  

April 13, 2013 3:51 am  #2

Re: This convoluted mess has left me exhaust(ed)

You got a lot of work into that!!!

When I built the Y pipe for my Bronco, I picked up a handfull of mandral bends in diferent radis' and cut, and fit. Might be a idea to speed up the rest of the system for you.

April 17, 2013 3:51 pm  #3

It looks like adding that X is a big sorce of the problem. My guess is that sraighter pipes with a H would way out flow the system as shown. The welding is getting nice with lots of practice.

April 21, 2013 12:11 am  #4

Great looking welds!

May 19, 2013 8:35 am  #5

Here is the finished product.  It is over 14' long when measuring from the header collector directly to the tail pipe tip, not taking in to account all the tubing it took to make all the bends.

May 20, 2013 9:54 am  #6

Red X.  I'll try on my home computer.

May 21, 2013 8:26 am  #7

jeff hann wrote:

Red X.  I'll try on my home computer.

What???

May 24, 2013 12:02 pm  #8

That's a TON of work there!

I bought a dual exhaust kit for my '89 F150 and NOTHING fit right.  Had to cut/chop/rebuild the whole front of it to get it to fit.  The bends were either too little or too much.  Surprisingly the back half went right on?  Wasn't going to complain too much for the $180 I paid for the complete system.  Took all day to get it done was the only bad part.  Sure is nicer when it just "bolts on".

I got REALLYYYYY lucky on my black galaxie.  I was at Columbus swap meet one year and found a guy with a complete 2 1/2" mandrel bent system(including stock muffs) for $125.00!!!!    Ya, I about fell over diggin in my pocket fast enough to get the money out.  Seems he wanted a 3" system and the place screwed up and they told him to keep it.  I was the lucky guy that day.  It was set up for factory long cast iron headers to boot.  It bolted right up!!!  I replaced the stock mufflers with a pair of flowmasters back under the quarter panel.  Had to turn them at 45* angle to get them to hide up there, but works great(even 13 yrs later).

Some times you are the hydrant.......sometimes you're the dog

May 25, 2013 5:17 am  #9

I wonder if there is any drawback to putting the mufflers under the floor rather than the stock location at the rear of the car of the early 60s Galaxies.  Would it cause more heat inside the car?  More noise?  Or is it a better location?  Was Ford wrong for putting the mufflers at the rear?

Dave Coleman  http://www.62ford.com/
1962 Galaxie 500 XL
1962 Country Sedan
1963 Galaxie 500 XL 4 door hardtop

May 25, 2013 2:52 pm  #10

honestly I am not sure why Ford put them there.  I know lots of 60s era cars put them at the end of the exhaust.  I know many of the 80s and 90s era cars have them under the middle of the car so that leads me to believe it is an issue of convenience not sound and heat.  My Mustang has them under main part of the car and it's loud but the Mustang is running glass packs so the car is loud no mater where you are.  The exhaust I took out of the Galaxie had turbo stile mufflers that were mounted under the back seat.  The car was nice and quite and I never noticed any heat issues.  Over all I think it is a matter of convenience.  On the Galaxie there is that nice open space behind the rear quarter panel which seams like a natural place to stuff a muffler.  On a side note I used angled stainless exhaust tips and mounted  them about where the OEM turndows from the mufflers came out.  I did it as a node to the OEM configuration.

Board footera