Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2013 8:47 pm  #1

60's, 428 vs.429

newbee here;
   What are the differences/ similarities between the big block 428 and 429?  ( beside 15 H.P. )
 Are any/ all, of the parts interchangable?
    Also any opinions or experiences,  pro or con for either motor?

May 20, 2013 9:52 am  #2

Re: 60's, 428 vs.429

blue oval me wrote:

newbee here;
   What are the differences/ similarities between the big block 428 and 429?  ( beside 15 H.P. )
 Are any/ all, of the parts interchangable?
    Also any opinions or experiences,  pro or con for either motor?

They are 2 completely different engine families, and off the top of my head I can't think of any major parts that interchange.  In stock form, they are comparable, but the 429 can make more power at a cheaper price.  If you start with just the 429 block and get a 460 crank and pistons, you now have a 460.  You can buy a stroker kit and take any good 429 block out to 545 CID.  I like both engines, but if you are building for max power, the 429 is the way to go.  I have a 390 in my Galaxie with a 5 speed, and it runs damn good and gets 16 mpg on the highway.  It depends on what you want to do with it. 

May 20, 2013 7:25 pm  #3

(possibly a repeat reply as ai am having technical difficulties)
      Thanks for the reply, I don't know much about either motors.
 However, a 390 that has a 5 - speed sounds pretty cool. ( especially the 16 mpg part )
     Do you know of anyone that put a modern 4 spd. auto on an older big block, or if that is even possible?

May 21, 2013 8:29 am  #4

I found this info on line which may also help:

"Types

Both engines were of the big-block variety. In 1968, the 428 was a 10-year old FE design and had been toned down over the years. That same year, the 429 was a new engine and part of the 385 series. Even though they were very close in size, the engines were of different design and had virtually no interchangeable parts.

Two 429 engines were available. One was a stock engine that was widely used. The other was a specially modified engine for the Cobra Jet Mustang that was used for racing. Ford made just enough of the modified engines to get the engine qualified for racing circuits. The 429 was used from 1968 through the late '90s and produced between 460 and 512 horsepower.

The 428 was of the FE design and was used between 1958 and into the early '70s. It was used in medium and large cars, and was used in some muscle cars for competition. The engine was used for racing in the Torino and Thunderbird on the NASCAR circuit. The 428 was rated at 370 horsepower and was well over 400 with some modifications."

May 21, 2013 3:02 pm  #5

blue oval me wrote:

(possibly a repeat reply as ai am having technical difficulties)
      Thanks for the reply, I don't know much about either motors.
 However, a 390 that has a 5 - speed sounds pretty cool. ( especially the 16 mpg part )
     Do you know of anyone that put a modern 4 spd. auto on an older big block, or if that is even possible?

Yes, Lentech makes an AOD that fits behind anything you want.  http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodhome.html

There are also adapter plates that can be used, but you wouldn't want to use a stock AOD.

May 23, 2013 6:23 pm  #6

Jeff and Daze, thanks for the info and link. Every day I get closer to fulfilling a life long dream.
   Having a nice project car to go to shows with.
Years ago, my family and I went to the Mopar Nationals, ( a big mopar car show ) in Indianapolis IND.
   Do Ford enthuesiests have any shows to attend? If so, when and where is it?
Thanks again for your help.

May 24, 2013 12:08 pm  #7

There used to be two good shows in Ohio every year.  Fun Ford at Norwalk in July and Ford Expo on Labor day weekend in Columbus.   Both shows have pretty much fallen to pieces.  Fun Ford is no longer around and Expo is run by NMRA and is much just a mustang convention anymore.  Not alot of older stuff there anymore.  Started going to these shows back in the mid 90's.

Only Ford stuff left at Columbus is the spring/fall swap meets at the fairgrounds.  Even they aren't what they used to be 25 yrs ago.

May 24, 2013 5:17 pm  #8

Wow, That is terrible.
     I realize that alot of people on this website probably have Mustangs as well as Galaxies, but for whatever reason, the Galaxie was always my favorite Ford.
   I learned to drive in a 66 Fairlane, 289, and even as a kid I remember thinking that it seemed to rattle and ride poorly.
  My buddy had a 69 Galaxie and I owned a 70 Custom and I just loved both those cars. That's probably how I ended up on this Forum.

Board footera