Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2017 5:33 am  #11

Re: 1964 Galaxie 500 XL rear suspension

My vote would be to NOT paint the top white.  Stay one color.  In fact with those wheels I get a sense of what your after.  Why not candy apple red or pearl red?!!  Also just get some regular shocks don't worry about the coil shocks.  After you mount you wheels you may want to play around with the ride height by getting a spring lowering kit for the back (very inexpensive) basically some blocks that go under your rear axle.  Then lower the front (more involved) by getting some lowering springs or cutting yours. 

February 2, 2017 6:14 am  #12

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I will have to look into this more and keep all of you posted.  Right now I am focused on getting the underside rear for the car soda blasted so that I can paint it with the PUR-15 system to hopefully preserve it for many years to come. Until next time.

February 2, 2017 11:09 am  #13

The shocks with the external springs were known as load-levelers, maybe a Monroe trade name. I have regular stock Monroe shocks on my '59 and it rides well.

February 2, 2017 11:55 am  #14

I bought KYB shocks from Macs.  No complaints.

February 3, 2017 8:51 pm  #15

Monroe-Matic makes spring over shocks for everything ....I put them on every car/truck that I own

Board footera