Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2016 12:48 pm  #1

Master cylinder

Hi, have just noticed on my 67 gal that I have a power assisted master cylinder even though I have manual brakes. Would this make any difference to the efficiency of stopping?

August 18, 2016 9:23 am  #2

Re: Master cylinder

By 'manual' brakes do you mean drum brakes? If you have a vacuum booster behind the master cylinder then you have power brakes even if they are drums in front. This was an option in '67 so it's probably original. You should be fine.

August 18, 2016 10:18 am  #3

Hi bogeyman, drums all round but no booster

Last edited by Mick cockerill (August 18, 2016 10:18 am)

August 19, 2016 5:30 am  #4

On a '67 with drums, do not change it to discs! It probably will not stop any better and you already have the safety feature of a dual master.

Last edited by BOBSS396 (August 19, 2016 5:30 am)

August 19, 2016 6:41 am  #5

Well then what do you mean by a "power assisted" master cylinder? Because that's what a vacuum booster is.

I'm confused. Do you have a pic?

August 23, 2016 3:50 am  #6

Master cylinders for manual/unboosted brakes have a deeper recess for the pushrod from the brake pedal.
Boosted master cylinders have a shallow recess.
Apart from that, they are much the same except for the possibility of the built in residual valves.

Board footera