Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2016 9:32 am  #31

Re: Spindle nuts coming loose?

Thanks, I will measure and check it out. Started thinking about one of your posts...When I installed just the outer bearing with washer and nut and tightened spindle nut to watch the bearing move past the wear marks on the spindle, the washer ended up butting up to a shoulder on the spindle where the taper starts. If the inside diameter of that washer was a little larger, then the washer could move past the shoulder it was hitting up against, and then I could further tighten the spindle nut. This would allow me to torque down the nut enough to "lock" up the rotor.  I wonder if the washers are incorrect?
Going away for a couple of weeks, will walk away from this for a while and start fresh when I get back.

August 12, 2016 10:45 am  #32

Can you post some photographs of the rotor and spindle? Maybe something may appear with visual documentation of the assembly, but probably leave the grease out for the pictures.

From the last description it alsmost sounds like the spindle is too long for the rotor. So the washer is bottoming on the shoulder of the spindle before the bearings are fully seated preventing enough preload on the bearings. The parts seem to be mismatched, so you may require a spacer that clears the spindle shoulder. Get another washer and enlarge the hole and see if when that is placed under the washer it makes any difference. I don't know if it is a problem to run shims in that location, but at least you'd know if that is the problem.

Last edited by 70XL (August 12, 2016 10:55 am)

August 12, 2016 6:35 pm  #33

Ok, last post till I get back from holidays.  Picture of spindle. Put the washer against the spindle shoulder and measured from inside the washer to the other shoulder. It measured 3 3/8 inches. Then put the bearings in the rotor and measured outside to outside of both bearings. It measured 3 5/8 inches. I measured as Boogyman suggested(outside edge of inner bearing to inside edge of outer bearing) it measured 2 7/8 inches.

Final measurement was by bringing both bearings together as much as I could and got 3 5/16 inches. Not sure what to make of this. The more time I spend on this, the more I am confused.

August 13, 2016 6:27 am  #34

dan_6776 wrote:

The more time I spend on this, the more I am confused.

You and me both!  I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said to measure to the inside of the outer bearing... I meant outside, as you have wisely done. Good thinking!

Okay, let's look at your measurements.

Spindle measurement from shoulder to inside of washer at stopping point: 3-3/8"

Measurement from outside to outside of both bearings installed in rotor: 3-5/8"

Since the second measurement is greater than the first, theoretically there should be room to squeeze the bearings once the rotor is installed. However, the difference is only 1/4", which is a reasonable allowance for error considering you're doing the best you can with only a tape measure. Also, it's possible that the bearings could compress that much upon tightening (1/8" each), therefore preventing drag on the rotor due to the washer coming to a stop at that shoulder. 

So I guess the next thing I would do is follow 70XL's advice and try a washer with a hole big enough to go past
that shoulder, and see if you can get drag on the rotor.

Also, from looking at your pics there's one little thing that bothers me - this is the shoulder where the washer stops, correct?:

I don't know why, it just doesn't look right to me for some reason. Probably nothing, but... ?

You mean we have to wait two weeks before any further investigation into this mystery? Damn. Any chance of postponing your vacation?

Just kidding! Have a great trip!

August 13, 2016 7:21 am  #35

Using a washers is only going to tell you something isn't right, which we already know.
The inside bearing rollers look like they are only running on part of the race?
I still think something is wrong with the bearings/races, could be a wrong bearing or race?
What was the part number on the bearings and races?

August 13, 2016 9:39 am  #36

Alright Boogyman! Just for you, I will postpone my vacation cause I just don't want to leave you hanging! Really, I am heading out the door as I type. Lol
To answer your concern, the circled area you are questioning is the end of the spindle taper. What you see is the gap between the inside of the washer and the outside edge of the outside bearing. The reason a gap exists, is because I pushed the outer bearing as far inwards as I could until the spindle taper prevent further movement. I was trying to simulate what would happen if I used another larger washer that would slide over the shoulder of the spindle to move the bearing further inward to further increase preload.
JWSpeed: As mentioned earlier, I have already cross referenced the bearings I have with new ones and they are a match. I also checked the current bearing part numbers for a 78 Cougar and everything seems to be correct. Perhaps you may see something that doesn't jive? Part numbers are:
Donor bearings: Inner-Timken JL69349, Outer-Bower LM12749, seal-CR19221
New bearings:    Inner-Timken BR11,     Outer-Timken BR12,     seal-CR19221
You mentioned that from the picture you thought that the rollers look like they are only running on part of the race. I believe you are correct. From the wear pattern on the rollers(dull, flat appearance) most of the rollers are making contact with the outer races. There is small shinny area on both bearings towards the outside of each roller that would indicate no contact. I wonder if this is just a result of the preload and how the rollers sit in the races when they are correctly tensioned up? It appears they hang out of the races slightly.
Posting pictures of the donor parts as I bought them. The salvage guy told me they were from a 78 Cougar, maybe someone can confirm. They looked correct and intact to me. OK...good bye everyone, talk to you in a couple of weeks! Hope we can figure this out...I really don't want to put the drums back on. LOL

Last edited by dan_6776 (August 13, 2016 9:48 am)

August 15, 2016 2:11 pm  #37

I think Dan's bearing numbers jive with Rock Auto listings for a 78 Cougar.
[url]http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mercury,1978,cougar,5.8l+351cid+v8,1198188,brake/wheel+hub,wheel+bearing,1672[/url]

August 21, 2016 6:18 am  #38

dan_6776 wrote:

"....... The reason it stops at that point is because the washer hits a shoulder. The shoulder is the start of the taper on the spindle.

If the washer is stopping against the shoulder, then you have the wrong washer, or the wrong bearing.  Most likely the wrong washer.  This issue has come up on the VMF several times, and the washer was at fault.

Z

Last edited by zray (August 21, 2016 6:30 am)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

August 21, 2016 10:21 am  #39

Sounds like the washer is bottoming out before the bearings tighten up. I've seen wrong washers on spindles before. Try the Help section at a parts store, I've seen washers there before.

September 11, 2016 5:57 am  #40

Hi Dan, just wondering if you're back from vacation yet...

Board footera