Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2013 1:17 pm  #1

62 Galaxie Transmission Conversion

HELP!!! I have a 1962 Ford Galaxie XL 500 with an automatic transmission. I want to remove the automatic transmission from my 62 and install a 3 speed manual transmission in its place that is coming out of a 1963 Galaxie. The 63 has a 3 speed with the shifter on the tree. I want to remove all of the components from the 63 and put in my 62 but I do not want the shifter on the tree but in the floor. Now I know that the conversion will work folks do this all the time but my question is: With this set up will the shifter come up through my center console where the current automatic shifter is located? I plan to purchase a Hurst shifter and linkage kit and already have the chrome center console plate coming out of a different 63 XL 500 with the center already cut out for a 4 speed that it came with. I simply want to be able to keep my center console in place with the new Hurst shifter coming through where it should. The 3 speed manual transmission I will be using is a long shaft. Would be nice to go with a 4 speed but money is an object at this point so trying to utilize the extra equipment I have. A sincere thanks to those that can help.

March 7, 2013 5:00 pm  #2

Re: 62 Galaxie Transmission Conversion

First of all welcome to the forum!!!

Now to the business at hand, Does the three speed have mounting places on the tailshaft for a shifter??  if so I believe ther are two kinds, one that mounts mid tailshaft and one that mounts on the end.  If it is mid there is a good chance that the shifter should be in the correct location.  If it doesn't have a shifter-mount than you will have to fab something up.  Worst case scenario you will have to make an adapter to use the current mounting location or fab something up to make up for no mounting location, then modify the linkage to fit.  Basic stuff if you have a way to cut steel and weld, but a little more challenge if you are not set up to do that.  Got any pictures of the transmission and shifter you are planning on using??

March 7, 2013 6:58 pm  #3

Re: 62 Galaxie Transmission Conversion

Thanks for the reply Daze! Unfortunately I have no pics of the transmission in this 63.The car currently resides in a salvage yard lying flat on its belly and I asked the fellow the same question you asked me. He told me he thinks the area to hook to is located mid way on the transmission. All I was able to do was get in, throw the clutch and run through the gears. He could'nt lift it due to weather but I hope to see it this week end. I will certainly let you know what I see if weather permits. I uploaded an image of the shifter that I plan on using if this transmission will work as I hope it will. Thanks again for the welcome and the help!

Board footera