Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2013 11:32 pm  #1

Want to lower my 65 Galaxie Coupe without wrecking the ride

So do I just cut one coil out and bolt it all up again or do I go and pay some front end guru to put special coils in.  The car has been messed with heaps overbhe years and so I am not too stuck up with origiality.  Looking for just 1-2 inches.  Any ideas?  

January 20, 2013 8:18 am  #2

Re: Want to lower my 65 Galaxie Coupe without wrecking the ride

I am about to do the same thing on a 61. I can't share any personal experience as of yet but through some research I found the following options: Many companies like Fatman sell drop spindles for up to three inch drops, I found those to be expensive. Detroit Eaton Spring company sells drop coil springs for up to a two inch drop for around $200.00. On their web site in their tech section, they explain how to cut down your current springs to achieve a drop. They describe different types of springs, which ones can be cut properly, how to do it and how much to cut off. Another company called Stop and Drop sells a spindle and disc brake kit based off of a Granada spindle for around $750 dollars. You get a two inch drop with that kit. I have also read forums, where guys change out coil spings from other vehicles. One guy replaced his springs on a 63 Galaxie with ford Aerostar van front coil. The results were dramatic, his front end almost drags on the ground. Other articles I read that guys found success doing a spring swap were not on Galaxies. The Aerostar spring article scared me away from trying to experiment. 
I think I will go with the Detroit spring. It seems to be the cheapest way to go and they are reputible. Hope this helps.
Dan

January 20, 2013 12:05 pm  #3

Contact Coil Spring Specialties in St. Mary's Kansas. They can make you exactly what you want and they are affordable. I've used them a lot and they do good work.

http://www.coilsprings.com/

1964 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr 390, Merc-O-Matic
1964 Galaxie 500 2dr Fastback Nascar clone
1961 Galaxie Starliner 460, C6
1961 Galaxie Club Victoria 2dr 352, 4-speed

January 22, 2013 9:11 am  #4

I would start by cutting the springs you have.  It only cost you your time and is an effective way to lower a car.  there are a few guidelines however.  I recommend only cutting 1/2 a coil at a time.  Afterwords put the spring back in and give the car time to settle.  A good rule of thumb is 1 month if the car is not being driven and one to two weeks if it is.  After that time if the drop is not enough cut off another 1/2 coil and so on.   When cutting coils NEVER use a cutting torch.  With springs heat is your enemy.  Use a cut off wheel and don't rush it.  In fact there is nothing wrong with cutting half way through, then letting it cool before finishing the cut.

January 22, 2013 7:26 pm  #5

Coil spring confusion. After doing some research on cutting coil springs, I didn`t think it was possible on the Galaxie, here is why. Detroit Spring company describes three different types of coil springs. Pigtail end, Square end(Spring will stand up on both ends because the last coil bends back down to touch the coil below it) and Tangetial end(Spring will fall over when on end because the end of one of the coil spins off into space). My 61 uses a square coil spring. Square coil ends are designed to make full contact with their mounting points and so they would have to be reshaped after they are cut which involves heat. We know that springs and heat are a bad combination. I would be willing to try cutting the springs I have, but I am concerned about the full contact issue. I haven`t cut springs before, so I`m afraid to try it. Looking for some clarifcation. Thanks.

January 28, 2013 11:02 am  #6

dan_6776 wrote:

Coil spring confusion. After doing some research on cutting coil springs, I didn`t think it was possible on the Galaxie, here is why. Detroit Spring company describes three different types of coil springs. Pigtail end, Square end(Spring will stand up on both ends because the last coil bends back down to touch the coil below it) and Tangetial end(Spring will fall over when on end because the end of one of the coil spins off into space). My 61 uses a square coil spring. Square coil ends are designed to make full contact with their mounting points and so they would have to be reshaped after they are cut which involves heat. We know that springs and heat are a bad combination. I would be willing to try cutting the springs I have, but I am concerned about the full contact issue. I haven`t cut springs before, so I`m afraid to try it. Looking for some clarifcation. Thanks.

I would have thought the front coils are the tangential end type, on the bottom end, on the 65. Check your lower control arm and see how the srpings sit in the spring pocket. I believe the rear coils are pig tail type ends, so cutting in the rear may not work, but get under the car and confirm what you have.

February 6, 2013 7:27 pm  #7

I removed the front coil springs. Here is a picture of the bottom of the coil. The last coil appears to be bent back to touch(almost) the coil below it, and it will stand up on end, so I believe this is square?

February 28, 2013 6:25 pm  #8

dan_6776,

Did you cut the spring yet? What does the other end of the spring look like? I asuume it is flat? I know as for some coil springs (some I used to sell at a vintage Mustang shop) we had our own made so that a car would sit at original ride height and I think that was based off of a'67 big block car? (cant recall totally) We would tell the remote customers to do what we did in the shop. Cut off half as much from the free hight (spring out of the car sitting on the flat end of the spring) and cut off half as much as you want to lower the car. So if you want to lower the car 2", cut 1" off the height of the spring. Cutting whole coils sometimes lowers the too much and you definitely do not want to do that. I'm trying to figure out what a stock spring looks like (since I dont have the car  I want yet) because I want to get the ride dialed in with stifness and getting it to handle reasonably well.

February 28, 2013 7:27 pm  #9

No, I have not cut the spring yet, soon! The other end of the spring is flat. The last coil is actually tapered and bent flat to rest on the coil below it. This way you have full contact against the isolator. I just talked to a guy at a hotrod shop that just lowered a 67 T-bird. He said he cut about half a coil and got a 2 inch drop. He suggested I do the same and recut a little more if need be.

Board footera