Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2013 7:15 pm  #1

Front end fresh up

This has kept me busy since the late fall.  Looking forward to putting her back together.

..alot cleaner now...

...primer time..

...done! Now for those hood hinges..I left these in place so that once they are cleaned up, they will get mounted back in there exact location...where there is no black paint! Should save me some time later when lining up the front sheet metal.

March 1, 2013 8:04 am  #2

Re: Front end fresh up

Now for those hood hinges..I left these in place so that once they are cleaned up, they will get mounted back in there exact location...where there is no black paint! Should save me some time later when lining up the front sheet metal. 

If you want to paint behind those hinges an old body mans trick is to drill two holes with an 1/8" drill bit through the hinges and into the firewall.  this will allow you to use a couple of 1/8" punches to line things up and still paint the entire area.

March 1, 2013 8:53 am  #3

...that is a good tip, thanks!

May 7, 2013 7:36 pm  #4

Inspiring post.  I finally got my 63 home a week ago and it's sitting in front of the garage waiting for the exact same treatment.  I'm trying to document all the factory paint marks, numbers etc on the cowl and other parts before starting the refurb.  Hope it turns out as well as yours.  What type of paint did you use on the cowl and frame? - Matt

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 P Code 390 4V Police Interceptor

July 11, 2013 10:08 am  #5

HI Matt,
I have just been using a Krylon product purchased at Home Depot, nothing fancy. Not set up for spraying in the garage, so spray can works for me. I did manage to come across some factory markings as I was removing layers of paint. Some of them I was able to figure out, one of them, I can't seem to get information on. Check some earlier posts I submitted a few pictures. Good luck!

Board footera