Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2015 7:33 am  #21

Re: cruise o matic to C6 conversion info...

I have a C6 in my car and the solution looks about the same.

September 9, 2015 9:13 am  #22

galexie64 wrote:

I have a C6 in my car and the solution looks about the same.

Have you ever checked your driveline angles? 

The reason I ask is because before installing the 4-bar, the driveline was making a little noise.  I assumed it was a universal joint that was on the way out. It was, but I never thought about the cause.  I just figured it was normal wear and tear. Since I was forced to check the angles prior to welding, I discovered I did, indeed, have a problem. The fact that my car is lowered just makes it worse. 

If you're running stock suspension, some angle shims between the leafs and the pads may take care of it. If not, you may want to look at raising the tail of the transmission at the crossmember.

September 29, 2015 4:40 pm  #23

I haven't checked the angle of the transmission yet.  Although at a glance it doesn't  look to be in a bind. No popping sounds or noises going in forward or reverse.

September 30, 2015 5:46 pm  #24

g-man wrote:

I haven't checked the angle of the transmission yet.  Although at a glance it doesn't  look to be in a bind. No popping sounds or noises going in forward or reverse.

I drove mine for a while like that.  The sound was moderate at freeway speeds. I just saw excessive wear at the u-joints. Since I'm setting the rear end now, I'm going to fix it. Best of luck.

January 10, 2016 7:07 am  #25

Last edited by g-man (January 10, 2016 7:09 am)

December 30, 2016 2:00 pm  #26

This month I pulled the 79 f150 C6 out and went all through it.  I found I had put a thrust washer in the wrong location causing some other problems.  I found the snap ring that hold the output shaft in place at the very rear of the inside housing had got pushed up into the rear of the housing causing the brass bushing to be pushed back.  this in turn caused so much play that the oil passages going to the governor distributor were out of line and the governor was at times not getting oil pressure.  After fixing all of this I still had no automatic upshift and no 3rd/high gear.  I took my transmission to a professional trans shop for repair.  The bill was est. to be $300 to $400 to go completely thru it.  After 5 weeks and no work done.  I found a 70 Galaxie C6 on craigslist.  It was alleged to be out of a running car and the only reason for pulling it was that the car's roof rusted out and the engine was pulled and put in another vehicle.  I negotiated $150.00.  Went and picked up my untouched f150 C6 from the trans guy who was in no hurry to get anything done.  And bought the 70 Gal C6.  

The trans fluid was full and looked good.  I pulled the torque converter and the seal was an original fomoco front pump seal.  I assumed that this one had never been messed with so was a good candidate to go thru to see where I went wrong with mine.  After thinking about it for a while I decided to just put it in and try before going thru the trouble.  After all the Galaxie C6 had a more horizontal throw to the shift linkage on the side and I felt my cruis o matic shift linkage would work better.  I replaced the pump seal and the modulator valve and put it in.  It runs good and upshifts.  I will save the truck C6 with new seals and clutches in case I have to rebuild the Galaxie Trans.

Last edited by g-man (December 1, 2021 9:06 am)

December 30, 2016 2:04 pm  #27

Some crappy cell phone pics of the somewhat finished car.

January 3, 2017 5:27 am  #28

Sounds like a good bit of work, but you're getting it sorted out. I know exactly why you went with the C6 over the stock trans....STRENGTH!!! I've heard the argument about the C4 sapping less power, but unless built to handle the heavy car/big block combo, I would have made the C6 my choice as well. It wasn't Ford's choice for heavy duty pickups for no reason. I think the C4 is a great trans, but for a big block, C6 is the better choice if using used cores.

January 10, 2017 6:40 pm  #29

I also,if this helps on the cruisomatic thing, found in my '65 Ford service manual two different listings for auto transmissions: the C4 dual range, and the cruisomatic dual drive which I am guessing is what is in my '65 as I have two drive positions. The first where D normally is locks out first gear so it starts in second , and the second where L2 normally is is actually all three forward gears.

I only have experience with C4s, and C6 trannies so I hope somebody can clear up the murkiness on what might actually be in mine because according to the fsm I have two choices.

January 11, 2017 8:47 am  #30

The MX and FX transmissions have a cast iron body with aluminum bell housing and tail shaft. The C6 is all aluminum and the bell housing is part of the body. The C4 is aluminum, as well, I believe, but has a bolt on bell housing. It should be easy to tell if the trans body is cast iron, or aluminum.

Board footera