Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2015 11:20 am  #41

Re: 62 Galaxie (land yacht) is in dry dock to start Rack & Pinion upgrade

FURTHER UPDATE

I have had the chance to drive the car a bunch more and I absolutely LOVE the steering.  The car went from being work to drive to being an absolute pleasure to drive.  Single best upgrade I have made to the car so far.  BTW turning radios still suck when parking  

June 12, 2015 2:43 pm  #42

Daze wrote:

FURTHER UPDATE

I have had the chance to drive the car a bunch more and I absolutely LOVE the steering.  The car went from being work to drive to being an absolute pleasure to drive.  Single best upgrade I have made to the car so far.  BTW turning radios still suck when parking  

Why do you keep turning the radio? Maybe if you try turning the steering wheel the parking experience will improve!  ( I know you mean radius, turning radios made me chuckle.)

July 14, 2015 6:59 pm  #43

Daze
Will you be selling the brackets??

64 Galaxie Country Sedan Wagon
69 XL Convertible "390" w/ Air
1990 Crown Vic Wagon

July 14, 2015 8:08 pm  #44

No because there are to many variables.  I made mine to clear a 302 which wasn't even an option in 62 and corresponding headers.  Chances are if I made a bracket it would be a direct bolt in for other applications.

July 14, 2015 8:41 pm  #45

I'm having my final prototypes laser cut and formed next week. I made an extra set of the straps that bolt to the bracket so I'll just have an extra set of brackets made to go with them.   I have a '63 Galaxie with a 62 T-Bird 390 in it. The rack clears with both stock manifolds and Samson shorty headers so it'll probably work for you. If you think you can use it, PM me your address and I'll send you the extra set at my cost plus shipping.   The caveat is that you have to post pictures of your install on the forum for everyone's benefit! ;)

July 14, 2015 8:50 pm  #46

oh yes I like the "caveat" 

July 15, 2015 4:01 am  #47

BB
that would be awesome, my only conccern is im running a 4.6 dohc motor.
Not sure if thats a problem?

1990 Crown Vic Wagon

July 15, 2015 10:53 am  #48

I don't know either but it seems like a good opportunity to find out.

July 15, 2015 12:17 pm  #49

Daze
Then can you point me in the direction of what gm uses the rack your using?

1990 Crown Vic Wagon

July 15, 2015 1:15 pm  #50

GM J-car covers lots of models.  If you go to this link it will show them all to you.  All the racks are basically the same however make sure you go with the one that does not have performance steering in other words you want the one that is 3 turns lock to lock not 2.5 turns lock to lock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_J_platform

Board footera