Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2015 9:03 pm  #1

Can I install disc brakes on a 63 Galaxie using 14" Kelsey Hayse wheel

Hi All,
I am the proud owner of a 63 Galaxie 500 convertable. 390 4spd.The bench seat got me. The question I have is, can I install disc brakes using the 14" Kelsey Hayse wheels that are currently on the car. I really like the look of the car with them, wish I could figure out how to sent a picture. I looked at some of the posts here and It looks like there might be a possibilty. If not, I really should at least intall a dual master cylinder. any help the would be helpful as well. Oh ya, manual brakes.
Thanks.

February 23, 2015 10:26 pm  #2

Re: Can I install disc brakes on a 63 Galaxie using 14" Kelsey Hayse wheel

Typically, the older stock 14" wheels will not clear a disc brake caliper. Scarebird sells a disc brake conversion which states 15" wheels are required however, 14" wheels from a 75-80 Granada/Monarch can be utilized. Sounds like a nice car you've got there. Good luck!

1964 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr 390, Merc-O-Matic
1964 Galaxie 500 2dr Fastback Nascar clone
1961 Galaxie Starliner 460, C6
1961 Galaxie Club Victoria 2dr 352, 4-speed

March 12, 2015 8:16 pm  #3

Re: Can I install disc brakes on a 63 Galaxie using 14" Kelsey Hayse wheel

OK let's skip the disc brakes. Any idea's on a dual master cylinder that will bolt up to my 63?
The motor and trans is out right now,so I have lot's of room to make that change. I'm in the process of changing the the trans from a close to a wide ratio because I'm going to change the rear end ratio to make it more freeway freindly.

Board footera