Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2014 3:48 pm  #11

Re: cruise o matic to C6 conversion info...

Sorry no pic available of this. But the emerg brake cable need to take in about 3 inches of slack due to moving the crossmember.  I took the cable out of the crossmember and pulled the crossmember completely out of the way. then put it back in after the C6 was bolted up.. Use cable clamps to secure it.

Last edited by g-man (December 1, 2021 9:19 am)

June 10, 2014 3:51 pm  #12

Mangled up but functional vacuum line going to modulator valve.  I was able to use the cruise o matic line and run it up the pass side of the transmission. Pull the vacuum hose around the back of the bell housing and reconnect.  The modulator is shove in kind...15.00 at Advance Auto.  Your cruise o matic modulator is screw in type ..won't work.

June 12, 2014 1:39 pm  #13

Looks good. Is it working good, too?

June 12, 2014 4:04 pm  #14

reverse and forward work. moved around in the parking lot.  I have not taken it out on the road yet.  Will have to get few things straightened out on the engine first.

January 15, 2015 2:03 pm  #15

It's slipping.  I guess thats what you get when you buy out of the junk yard but I'll pull it out and rebuild it myself.  Live and learn.

January 15, 2015 2:54 pm  #16

g-man wrote:

It's slipping.  I guess thats what you get when you buy out of the junk yard but I'll pull it out and rebuild it myself.  Live and learn.

D'oh!

January 15, 2015 6:01 pm  #17

G-man , before you make new E-brake cables, try this first. Shorten the threaded adjustment rod by about half of it's length. This will give plenty of adjustment. At least it did on my C-6 conversion on my 64 Gal. Also, if your cable from the firewall seems too short, remove two clips from the floor and cable should just hook up to the CrossMember.

WKMA,Ya'll

January 16, 2015 2:24 pm  #18

ragan64 wrote:

G-man , before you make new E-brake cables, try this first. Shorten the threaded adjustment rod by about half of it's length. This will give plenty of adjustment. At least it did on my C-6 conversion on my 64 Gal. Also, if your cable from the firewall seems too short, remove two clips from the floor and cable should just hook up to the CrossMember.

The transmission is slipping not the e-brake.  I will rebuilt the tranny.  But yes.. I did see the Emergency brake adjusts with the long threaded rod. thanks.

Last edited by g-man (January 16, 2015 2:24 pm)

August 12, 2015 4:03 pm  #19

C6 rebuilt.  about 300.00 altogether.  140.00 for master rebuild kit.  I went with raybestos.  65.00 for parts.  I needed a new high reverse drum as the band had completely worn off all friction material and started eating away at the drum.  Also a servo piston.. Mine was rock hard. Should be rubber and supple.  Another 100.00 for a case of trans fluid and 12 cans of 2 plus 2 cleaner.   All in all not too hard.  Keep everything in order including the thrust washers.  Need air tool to push out the rear piston cup from the back of the case. 

September 7, 2015 7:43 pm  #20

g-man - Be sure to check the downward angle on your transmission. I have a '63 with a 390/C6 combo and just recently discovered (while finalizing my 4-bar install) I had an excessive downward angle to the transmission.  The source is a crossmember modified exactly as you have done. It puts the transmission too low in the back requiring excessive upward tilt of the rear end pinion.  I my case, I discovered 7 degrees down at the transmission, which buries the snubber into the body at the rear end if you try to rotate the pinion up 7 degrees.  It is especially critical on a lowered car like mine.

Board footera