Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2013 5:27 pm  #1

Have you ever wanted to restore your cracked steering wheel?

Last edited by Jayz66 (January 7, 2013 5:30 pm)

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

January 9, 2013 1:26 pm  #2

Re: Have you ever wanted to restore your cracked steering wheel?

How long is the working time after the mixing is complete ? looks like good stuff .

January 9, 2013 4:04 pm  #3

Looks good, is the epoxy strong enough to replace all the plastic??  reason I ask is I have a Mustang pony interior wheel that just the outside ring was covered in plastic.  In order to get it powdercoated I had to remove all the plastic.  I was planning to wrap it in rope, then add some padding followed by a stitch up leather wheel cover but the epoxy give me ideas... dangerous to have ideas, I know

January 9, 2013 4:28 pm  #4

63 wagon wrote:

How long is the working time after the mixing is complete ? looks like good stuff .

You get about 10 minutes working time until it becomes less workable.  The putty is pretty stiff right from the start.

Daze wrote:

Looks good, is the epoxy strong enough to replace all the plastic??  reason I ask is I have a Mustang pony interior wheel that just the outside ring was covered in plastic.  In order to get it powdercoated I had to remove all the plastic.  I was planning to wrap it in rope, then add some padding followed by a stitch up leather wheel cover but the epoxy give me ideas... dangerous to have ideas, I know

When this stuff is cured, it is very hard and I'd think it would have zero flex.  It might be too brittle to do what you want, but I'd like to see a picture of what you have in mind anyway.

January 12, 2013 7:33 pm  #5

I've been working on the wheel some.  Here are some more pics, and maybe more tomorrow too.

The putty looks a bit crude.  I'd like to try other products after I run out of this putty, but I've restored 3 wheels so far and I haven't even used 1/3 of the putty I have.

January 13, 2013 5:02 pm  #6

I've done some sanding using my Ryobi multitool, a file, a pocket knife blade and some 150 grit sandpaper.  The results you get will depend on how carefully you work and what kind of shape the wheel was in to start with.  I use the multitool with a small sanding drum to get the majority of the putty trimmed down.  Then I use a hand file to get the shape almost right.  Then a pocket knife blade at a 90 degree angle and make a scraping motion.  This will flake off any thin layer of putty that is not down in the groove.  I finally clean up with 150 grit and work to finer grits.

I think I made a promise to make this crack disappear.

Last edited by Jayz66 (January 13, 2013 5:10 pm)

Board footera