Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2013 6:50 pm  #1

Power Steering

I've got a 1964 Galaxie 500 Convert, 390" engine, C4 trans. It has a power steering assist system. The oil in it is tractor hydraulic fluid and it foams and blows out the reservoir. What fluid should I be using since this stuff obviously foams?!
Thank you for help.

January 12, 2013 6:56 pm  #2

Re: Power Steering

Welcome to the forum!!  If you go to any auto parts house they sell a power steering specific fluid. I like synthetic oils

January 12, 2013 7:17 pm  #3

So it doesn't have to be Ford specific P/S fluid in the old ones? Not Ford ATF?

January 12, 2013 7:19 pm  #4

Nope. ATF is the only fluid specific to old fords

January 13, 2013 6:52 pm  #5

Gee, the ATF doesn't foam! Tractor hyd. oil does! Duh! A little draining and new ATF and Its fine. How odd!

January 13, 2013 7:36 pm  #6

what I ment is ATF fluid requires somthing different for old ford automatic transmission.  Power steering fluid is power steering fluid.  Nothing specific about it.  If you drain out the hydraulic fluid and replace it with powersteering fliud you should be good to go.

Board footera