Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2019 6:46 pm  #21

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

Getting ready to send right side suspension parts to be sandblasted and powder coated.  Used my vice as a press to remove old lower control arm bushings.

Parts going to sandblaster.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 12:10 pm)

May 4, 2019 6:53 pm  #22

Daze wrote:

yes that bolt is removable but it often times rustsup inside the frame and is hard to get out.  Any luck finding a core support?  

You weren't kidding about that.  I finally manged to remove the bolt but at a cost.  I damaged the bushing/washer.

It looks like this is a standard drill bushing with a flat washer welded to it.  Does anyone have an extra one of these laying around?  If not I'm going to have to find a way to repair this one or make a new one.  Mcmaster Carr sells drill bushings this size - 5/8 ID x 7/8 OD by 1/2 long.  I would then need to find someone that could weld a SAE flat washer onto it.  Can anybody help?

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 12:14 pm)

May 25, 2019 6:48 pm  #23

Hoping to get some work done on Memorial Day. 
I have received my core support and there are no rust holes.

Also received a lower control arm front frame bushing to replace the one I badly damaged.  A big thanks to CTC Auto Ranch in Texas for the front frame bushing!

Also have parts back from the sandblaster.  They were also powder coated.  I also have new upper control arm shafts and new ball joints and brakes.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:03 pm)

June 30, 2019 5:37 pm  #24

I've gotten busy during the summer so things are moving slowly.
I did get the right-side control arm assembly mounted.

I am going to have to call the machine shop again on the Y block rebuild.  They seem to be moving slower than me...

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:04 pm)

July 1, 2019 7:35 pm  #25

nice and shiny

July 4, 2019 11:02 am  #26

Now you just have to take it apart again and clean and paint the frame and firewall. Don't want to muck up that nice powdercoating while prepping the rest. It will look real nice when you're done.

July 13, 2019 7:07 pm  #27

70XL wrote:

Now you just have to take it apart again and clean and paint the frame and firewall. Don't want to muck up that nice powdercoating while prepping the rest. It will look real nice when you're done.

My current plan is to have the body shop take everything apart and paint the frame and firewall.  I'm going to get the car running and driving the way I want it and then take it to the body shop.

July 13, 2019 7:10 pm  #28

Right side brakes before picture.  I didn't realize it at the time but the primary and secondary shoes are installed incorrectly.

New right side brakes ready for installation-note I reinstalled them according to the old ones which is backwards.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:10 pm)

July 16, 2019 8:11 am  #29

Right side brakes back on car.  Ready to put her back on all four wheels!

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:11 pm)

July 16, 2019 6:50 pm  #30

it's looking amazing!!  you are doing beautiful work.

Board footera