Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2018 7:57 am  #1

What is the stock voltage regulator amperage ?

Looking to buy a new voltage regulator for my 1961 Galaxie. I see there are 30,35,40 and 45 amp voltage regulators out there all saying for a 1961 Galaxie. I am going to use a stock rebuilt generator. So which one should I purchase? Which is correct or best?

April 21, 2018 12:07 pm  #2

Re: What is the stock voltage regulator amperage ?

I could be mistaken, (not that familiar with generators as apposed to alternators) but I believe in this case the "amps" is a rating and not a spec to match.  Basically a voltage regulator is a complicated switch and switches come with a max amp rating.  Its the amount of current the part will handle before it fails.  The good news is (assuming I am correct) that if you were to get the max amp regulator you would be good to go as it would handle all amos below it.  

Board footera